Friday, December 14, 2012

Christmas memories

Second Blooming
 
 
This week's Spin Cycle is on Christmas's past.  Growing up, I had a lot of good memories from the holidays.  We lived in Alabama, so we always got to play outside with our new toys.  It was really never colder than 50 degrees out so that was always great.  That is, until we moved to Indiana.  But...that's neither here nor there. 
 
 
Back in 2010, I wrote about the best Christmas present ever:  My O'Jenny Doll house.  Now, this isn't my computer so I can't save the picture and repost, so you will just have to go to the 2010 post (but promise to come back!) I always wanted a doll house so when I saw that Santa brought me one, I was one happy little kid.  Of course, it took my poor father hours to put together the little decals, furniture and stickers for the thing, but it was so worth it.  I played with that thing for hours.  Still have it, too.  Some day, I think I'll let Aubrey play with it, but only if she promises to not break anything. :-)  So in terms of best Christmas presents, that would be it. 
 
 
Other than that, I don't have one particular Christmas that stands out.  I always loved when we got to see my Grandma and Grandpa after the holidays for a Christmas get together.  All 14 of my cousins would be there, there would be a ton of food, cookies, laughter, and just good times all around.  My Grandma was an amazing cook, and she never failed to put out a good spread.  And the cousins would all congregate in the den of the house and play cards or just goof off.  Those are seriously some of my fondest memories.  The Christmas after Grandma passed, it was noticeable how much things were different, but I still carry those memories in my heart.
 
 
Another Christmas that comes to mind was the first one T and I shared as a new couple in 2008.  We didn't actually spend the holiday together, as he went up to be with his family in Michigan, so I worked so hard in creating this care package for him to take with him.  I made him a card for every day we were apart, and I also made him a CD to listen to on his 5 hour drive.  (God, wasn't I the best girlfriend ever?)  I just remember missing him so damn much while he was gone.  It wasn't the same as when I had dated in the past.  I really genuinely missed him, and it was this time when I realized that this was it - this was the real thing.  So I treasure that Christmas, as well, even though we weren't together. 
 
 
I am so excited to start Christmas traditions of our own as a family and to give Aubrey memories she can treasure forever. 
 
 
So those are my favorite Christmas memories. what are yours?  Stop by Gretchen's to see what other Spinners have to share!  Have a wonderful weekend.
 

5 comments:

  1. Christmas always used to be about all of my cousins getting together at my grandparents too! We have all grown up since then, but I used to love that as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every Christmas eve my moms side of the family gets together at my grandparents and we do Christmas then. I'm 33 years old and we still are doing it. Now my kids are having the Christmas I had as a child, I love that. But my first Christmas as a mom is my most memorable. Aiden was just a few weeks old and slept through the entire hoopla of opening presents. He was the best gift I have ever received.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO jealous of your dollhouse! I always wanted one so much, but NEVER got one. Which is probably for the best, as I'd now have it in the attic, and I don't have a daughter!
    And yes, you were the best girlfriend ever!

    You are linked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun memories! I bet Aubrey will love to play with your dollhouse one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some awesome Christmas memories! And yes, you were definitely the best girlfriend ever! :)

    Once Upon a Christmas Past...

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!