Thursday, July 28, 2011

Gratitude

This post won't be one of my longer posts, but I did want to express my gratitude and tell you just how humbled I am by your kind words and prayers here on my blog and on Twitter.  We were able to go see my Grandpa in the nursing home this last weekend, for only about an hour, and we will be seeing him at the official reunion this weekend.  I am hopeful he can visit with the family in the comfort of my uncle's house and not the nursing home. 
 
 
Please still keep praying, as he is not doing much better.  I received an email yesterday indicating that doctors have said hospice services need to be contacted and that he has six months tops in terms of his kidney function.  After seeing him this weekend, though, I honestly feel that number is being generous.  He was in good spirits when we saw him, but his memory is not there, and he is quite weak and ill.  In his room he had several pictures of my Grandma, one of them being her senior picture from high school.  Several times in the conversation, he asked if we knew who the lady was in that picture and talked about how beautiful she is and how wonderful of a wife she was.  She truly was.  And I know he misses her, and I have no doubt when it is his time to leave us, he will be reunited with her. 
 
 
I had a hard time leaving him on Sunday, and when I hugged him, I didn't want to let go.  But I am coming to terms with the fact that we all need to.  I hope that this weekend gives him joy and happiness where he can spend time surrounded by his entire family and those who love him.  But I also hope that he does find the peace he needs. 
 
 
Thank you all so much for everything - I truly feel blessed to have such an outpouring of support with people I have never met in person.  You have touched my heart, and I know your prayers and thoughts help.  Thank you!
 

4 comments:

  1. My heart hurts for you! Thoughts and prayers and BIG HUGS your way! If you need anything, I'm around anytime.

    I've been at hospice almost every day the past week. I sympathize!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sad... My heart hurts for you :(
    Lots of prayers and hugs and thoughts for you and all your family. I know all of you need them.
    I wish I lived closer to you so that if you need anything I could be there for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you were able to see your grandpa. It is so precious that he loves your grandma so much and still sees her beauty even though she isn't with him on this earth. God is blessing you and him.

    I am praying that he is able to make the trip to your uncles house this weekend. What a special memory that will be for all of you.

    While my heart breaks with yours, I also rejoice with you that God has given you this chance to see your grandfather and to hug him one more time. I know it will never be enough. I remember the last hug I gave my mama & the thought I had then was "thank you God for this hug." She died the next morning before I could see her that day. I am so thankful that I was able to hug her that one more time. (I miss her a lot though and its been 7 years)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big, big hug. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!