Friday, February 21, 2014

My Grandpa

This Saturday is a very special day - it's my Grandpa George's birthday.  I swear, it doesn't seem real sometimes that he's really gone.  There isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss him.  It's weird, too, because it will come out of completely nowhere.  I'll think of something and that thought sparks a memory that maybe involves my Grandpa and then this immense wave of sadness just washes over me.  I know he's in a better place, and I know he's back with the love of his life, both of them watching on us from heaven.  But I miss him.

Aubrey has this weird thing when she sees pictures of him.  She'll talk to him and point and say "Papa!" and then babble like she has something really important to tell him.  She wanted to put his picture that I had up in the den in her bedroom so the picture is now sitting on top of her dresser.  I have a picture of him and I dancing at the wedding, and she'll point to it and go "Mommy, Papa."  The other day she picks the picture up off the table, brings it to me, points and says "Mommy and Papa" and then kisses the picture twice before handing it over to me and running off.  Talk about pulling at Mommy's heart strings, right?  

His birthday, the 22nd, just so happens to also be what was Aubrey's due date.  She was born just months after he passed away so he never got to meet her, but I know he would love her.  It is a special time, this time of year because I celebrate two very important people in my life - my little girl and her guardian angel.  

Happy birthday up in heaven, Grandpa.  We all miss you and love you.  And Aubrey says "Hi, Papa!," too.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!