Thursday, June 2, 2011

The art of waiting

 
This week's Spin Cycle topic on Sprite's Keeper is waiting.  Something I absolutely hate to do.   I am so not the patient type.  Not in the slightest.  When I decide I want something or want to do something, I do it right then.  And if I don't, I worry about it until I am able to finally do it or find out about something that I'm waiting for. 
 
 
When I took the bar exam in July 2006, I had to wait an entire three months until late September when they posted the results online.  Three month of waiting.  Waiting for what would be the biggest moments in my career.  I had convinced myself after I left the last day of the exam that I had failed, but at the same time, I had a job that depended on me passing this exam.  I truly think the Board of Law Examiners must be a group of cruel cruel people since they create the hardest and longest tests known to man, and then they make you wait three months until you find out your fate.  Luckily for me, I found out I passed, but that wasn't after I didn't get any sleep the week of the results, especially the night before. 
 
 
I remember when I was a little girl waiting for Christmas to arrive or my birthday to happen seemed like forever.  Waiting for summer vacation took eternity.  I would create countdowns by stapling a bunch of paper with numbers counting down the days to a piece of construction paper on my wall, and each day, I would get more and more impatient for the big day. 
 
 
Waiting for our wedding day to arrive was another one of those long and tortuous things, too.  Not in the sense that it was torture thinking about our wedding.  Not in the slightest.  It was the fact that I knew without a shadow of a doubt that this was the man I wanted to marry, and I just wanted the big day to get there so that I could start the rest of my life with T.  And it wasn't the fact that I wanted the big party.  It was the fact that I was tired of waiting to be his wife.  Our engagement was over a year, and to me that was too long.  But, of course, it was worth the wait because the day was magical and the happiest day of my life.
 
 
So while, yes, waiting can be a long and anxiety-producing task, it's usually the big "waits" that bring the biggest blessings.  Now if only I could get better at waiting in lines at the grocery store...
 
 
And am I waiting on anything big coming up?  Well, that's for me and only me to know :-)
 
 
Check out Sprite's Keeper's blog and see what other things people are waiting to happen!
 

10 comments:

  1. I think I can guess ur secret, but I'll keep it to myself ;)

    I'm not so patient either!

    CBG
    canadianbloggergirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to pull out the go-to guess, but I can hope for you!
    I never understood why they made the wait so long on bar exam results either. What's the purpose? Does it really take that long to grade?
    You're linked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry guys! It might not be what you're thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so not a patient person either. And what patience I have learned to have I use up on my children. I would have gone nuts waiting for the bar exam results- freaking nuts!! But when it came to my babies I was happy being pregnant an waiting until it was their time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so not a patient person either.
    I get anxious and nervous.
    I hate waiting and waiting and waiting. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping over from Spin Cycle.

    Three months seems like a crazy amount of time to wait for test results. Gah. I would've gained 20 lbs in brownie weight just obsessing over it.

    The good stuff is always worth the wait though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, waiting can be so, so hard, but you're right: often the best things require some waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the fact that you have different weights to different kinds of waiting. There are the little waits (like waiting in line), and there are big waits (like waiting for your wedding).

    Excellent spin! Thanks for sharing,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be waiting to find out if I'm right on my guess for what you're waiting for! My guess is also that I'm not the only one thinking the same thing! Great Spin Nain!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another non-patient person here. Like another commenter, I'm pretty sure I use up all my patience on children. Unlike the other commenter, I use it up on other people's children because I can be a little more impatient with my own. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!