Friday, February 11, 2011

Little blessings

Today is a special day.  I know I've shared many many times that I'm extremely proud of my nieces and nephews, but I can't help but say it again today.  Today is the birthday for my twin niece and nephew Erin and Griffin (otherwise known as the "gruesome twosome") 


 
Eight years ago today was a very scary one for my family.  My sister-in-law was only 26 weeks along in her pregnancy with twins and was due sometime in May, so we weren't expecting any arrivals in mid-February.  However, I got a phone call while I was at school at IU that despite their efforts to hold off labor, she was giving birth, and without any hesitation, I packed my bags.  Honestly, I didn't know what or how to pack.  I hate to admit this, but I did pack black.  Because I feared the worst deep down in my heart, and it killed me. 


I had a test that day in one of my classes, but I left anyway.  I drove straight up to St. Vincent hospital, meeting my brother outside when I arrived.  Poor guy, he looked so worried, so tired.  The twins were already born at that point and had been immediately taken to the neonatal intensive care unit. 


 
First we had Griffin.  He weight only 2 lbs and 2 oz.  He was on an oscillating ventilator for the first few weeks of his life and his lungs weren't fully developed.




Then we had Erin (otherwise known as Erin Lou).  This little thing weight only 1 lb and 10 oz.  You can see in this picture, she's practically the size of her mommy's hand.






 

The twins were at the NICU for three months.  Griffin was released first, as he was the bigger of the two and progressed the quickest, but Erin Lou wasn't too far behind.  I couldn't even imagine the pain and worry my brother and sister-in-law went through.  Their babies were in incubators for months, and each day was a new concern, a new worry.  We prayed for them constantly.  I wasn't able to finally hold them for about a month, and when I finally did, I was afraid to move, afraid I'd break them.  They were so tiny, so delicate. 


 
I remember coming home to help my brother and sister-in-law out every now and then, and feeding them was one of the duties I got.  They were either eating, napping or pooping.  The big concern was that when you were feeding them, they would get so relaxed that they would stop breathing.  And that would kick off their monitors.  The first time this happened while feeding Griffin, and he started to turn blue, I freaked out. 


My brother took him like it was no worry and gently tapped him on the back, waking him back up, and the monitor stopped.  That was daily life for them.


It's hard to believe that here we are 8 years later.  Erin and Griffin are normal children, in second grade, playing sports, both in scouts, both in karate.  They have the most amazing personalities, and they are such blessings.  Those two little babies you see up there, are these special kids right here (well the two on the right, of course.  Roo is on the right and is just as special.):


 

 If you look to the right of my screen, you will see a bar for the March of Dimes.  On April 30th my family will be walking a 2 mile walk/run to raise money for children who are born prematurely.  We'll be walking for my niece and nephew, as well as all of the other little miracles out there.  My fundraising goal is to raise $500 before the raise.  If you should feel so inclined, we would love it if you could donate any amount, even $1.00.  If you can't, please look into the March of Dimes walks in your area. 


Happy Birthday, Erin and Griffin.  I love you so very much.



 

3 comments:

  1. What beautiful babies they were and are. I cannot imagine going through all of that though I have had a couple of friends who did the same thing. So glad there was a positive end to this story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw they are miracle babies! I can't believe at 26 weeks that they were able to survive! What a blessing indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is such a heart warming story, I'm so glad everything worked out. I can only imagine how scary and hard those first few months/year was.

    They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!