Friday, November 16, 2012

Spin Cycle: Disaster

Second Blooming
This week's Spin Cycle brought to you by Gretchen at Second Blooming is on disasters.  Being from Indiana, mainly the South side area, this specific topic couldn't be any more relevant.  I'm not sure if most of you have heard this on the national news but unfortunately Indy has been in the news lately for an awful disaster that occurred on Saturday night. 
 
 
I don't want to give too many details because God knows I won't get something correct, but there was an awful explosion in a South side neighborhood.  They still don't know what caused the explosion but it occurred in a neighborhood not too far from us.  The house where the explosion occurred and surrounding homes were completely obliterated.  The family whose home was the cause of the explosion were not home but their neighbors next door, a young teacher and her husband were killed in the explosion.  I think they said somewhere around 26 homes were damaged.  People were woken up and told they needed to grab their immediate belongings and leave their homes.  So many of these people have not been allowed to return home and are probably not likely to ever be able to come home because of the damage done. 
 
 
They say that the blast could be felt and heard from miles away.  T and I honestly didn't hear or feel it, but friends of ours who lived south of where we are felt the vibrations from the blast.  This neighborhood is just a few miles north from where we live.  My heart just goes out to the families.  No explanation exist for why this happened.  It's so sad to think that it was just a routine night, these people went to bed like normal, only for their lives to be changed forever.  Or, God forbid, the two victims who lost their lives.  I pray that they died instantaneously from the blast.  I'd hate to think that they suffered.  It's just not right. 
 
 
Please pray for those affected.  I heard on the radio the other day that the Red Cross has asked that people not donate at this time, as they have more than enough to go through.  But the tough thing is finding a home for those who have been kicked out of their own.
 
 
I always feel bad saying things like this, but given how close to home this was, I am grateful for our safety.  And I am thankful that more were not injured.  And I'm thankful for the amazing reaction of our community reaching out to those affected. 
 
 
So stop by Gretchen's blog today and read the other stories people have to share.  Have a safe and wonderful weekend, everyone!
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Whoa! I hadn't heard about this, and your post sent me Googling. How freaky! My first thought (God, I'm a cynic) was that they must have had a meth lab in their basement, but apparently that's not true. The article I read says they think it was something to do with gas appliances, which makes it so random and seem like it could happen to anybody! Tragic.

    You are linked!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!