Friday, November 11, 2011

Happy Veteran's Day!


Happy Veteran's Day to all of the men and women who have fought and given so much for our country!  Today I specially thank both of my grandfathers, T's grandfathers, and my Uncle Joe for their service during World War II and my uncle in Vietnam.  I never got to meet my grandfather on my Dad's side of the family, but I do know he was in the Army in the Pacific.  My Mom's father was in the Navy in the Pacific, as well. 
 
 
In honor of today, I'll tell the only anecdote I have from my Grandpa from his Navy days.  When he left to fight, he brought with him a picture of my Grandma.  He kept it by his bed on the ship.  He told us the story of once when they had to abandon ship, and it was invaded by Japanese forces.  When they were finally allowed back on the ship (after, I'm sure, whatever it was the Japanese were looking for was removed...weapons, security information, what not), he went back to his bunk, and the picture was missing.  Years and years later, after my Grandma had passed, we found a copy of the same picture he had with him on his ship, and this picture is now on his dresser at the nursing home.  He would laugh and say that she sure was pretty, and the soldiers on the other "side" must have thought the same.  So someone out there, has a picture of my Grandma...or had it at the very least :-) 
 
 
This past weekend, my Mom was emailed a picture of my Grandpa receiving an award at his nursing home for his service.  My 8 year old niece saw the picture, and my Mom explained to her what the award was for.  My niece responded, "OH!  I didn't know he was a veterinarian!  We need pictures of veterinarians for veterinarian's day!"  She is just so cute.  I couldn't bring myself to correct her because she was just so excited that she found a "veterinarian" to share with the class.  Such a cutie. 
 
 
So happy Veteran's Day, everyone!  And have a lovely weekend!  Me, I'm off to the doctor in a few for a check-up on the little girl.  I'll be back with pictures of the nursery so far and maybe a baby bump?
 

1 comment:

  1. That is the sweetest story, although at the time I'm sure he missed that picture of your grandma desperately while he was still away from her!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!