Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Nain's dirty little secret


I'm not a hoarder, I swear. 
 
 
I'm just a wee bit unorganized. 
 
 
So this weekend, T and I finally completed a project he's been bugging me to do since we moved into our house in April, one that I kept putting off but promising him I'd get it done.  In due time.  Which I did. 
 
 
Let me explain...see, T and I are opposites in the whole organization business.  I have the capability of getting myself organized.  Last week, I managed to clear out and organize the file cabinets in my office in preparation for my maternity leave, labeling them and everything.  Sure, I've been meaning to do this since January, but hey...better late than never, right?  So when it came to combining our two apartments into one household, we had a ton of random boxes and items.  I mean, I come with a lot of "stuff."  As a teenager, I saved everything.  Everything.  For sentimental value, of course.  And in between my multiple moves in college, law school and post-graduation, I've accumulated even more from there.   Most of it ended up in our walk-in closet in our guest bedroom.  This closet is huge because of the design of the house, and it should be a nice, empty space, but instead, for the past seven months we've lived there, you can barely get in with all of the boxes.  Straight out of a hoarders episode.  When we moved in, I also went through my clothes and got rid of two moving boxes worth of old clothing.  Those boxes have been sitting in the closet for those seven months, too.  And, we also had a pile of items in the basement that I told T were were going to be selling in a garage sale to be set sometime next year, including an old TV, microwave, boxes of random "stuff," and some old, crappy lawn chairs. 
 
 
Poor, T...he's been patient.  He's so exited to finally get to organize his man cave this winter, and my "stuff" has invaded his sanctuary.  So a few months ago, I finally caved and said to hell with it, let's call Goodwill and just donate all of it. That was a few months ago.  Last week, I made the decision (after some pushing from T) that we would take care of it last weekend.  And I'd call Goodwill right away.  And I did, too.  (Yay, pat on the back!)
 
 
End result?  We left about seven boxes of old VHS tapes, picture frames, clothing, and various items, as well as the TV, my old trunk from undergrad, two ugly pink lawn chairs, and various items on our driveway this morning, to be picked up sometime today for Goodwill. 
 
 
The process of getting to that point was not pretty.  And being 7 months pregnant, I was very little help in terms of getting the boxes downstairs from the guest bedroom and upstairs from the basement.  That was all T.  But I was the one who went through all of those old boxes and bags and tossed items that were no longer needed.  And man, I had random items kept in the oddest of places.  No way do I remember how I ended up with two unopened plastic drop cloth packages or why they were placed in a box of picture frames.  And why were various Christmas ornaments located in random boxes?  Seriously, it was embarrassing.  But it's done.  Our closet is now clean and organized, and the basement has been cleared of all my crap.  I wish I could say that last weekend's efforts resulted in me being 100 percent organized in our house.  But sadly....no.  That's why I have T around.  To keep me in check. 
 
 
Baby steps, people...baby steps. 
 
 
I hope our little girl gets her organization skills from her dad.  Or we may be calling TLC to do an episode of Hoarding:  Buried Alive in a few years.  Just saying.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm a keeper and Nick's a tosser. We drive each other nuts sometimes. But as a result of Nick's pushing, the house does have more usable space right now.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!