Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Oh, parenthood....

 
I think parenthood is making me duller.  Or odder.  Or both.  It's amazing how things change once you have kids.  There are moments now where I'll say or do something in the normal course of the day, and either T or I have to step back and ask "really?  Did we really just do that?"  Oh what happened to us?  When did we get...so....old? 
 
 
I can't think of them all, but here are a few instances recently,,,,
 
 
Watching an episode of Sesame Street we've seen maybe twenty times, I find myself talking about a character on the show, Chris: "You know, he used to irritate the crap out of me, but he's really starting to grow on me. You know. Chris?" 
 
 
Speaking of Sesame Street, once Aubrey was watching "Play with Me Sesame" and fell asleep while T and I were getting ready.  Not wanting to wake her, we laid around watching TV.  The sad thing?  We kept Sesame Street on. 
 
 
Elmo's World - I find myself humming the tune to the beginning of that song throughout my work day. 
 
 
Driving in the car, Elton John's "The Circle of Life" comes on. T says, "when Aubrey turns one, I am going to stand up on a table, blast this song and hold her up in the air."
 
 
Aubrey has a V-tech Alphabet Pal that is a bug that has 26 legs for each letter of the alphabet.  One of the modes plays a different song for each letter corresponding to the letter's sound.  T actually looked up online what songs were all included.
 
 
Further, we even got T's Mom into it.  When they stayed with us, T's Mom got interested in the whole "Mr. Noodle" thing on Elmo's World.  (Personally, I find it odd that a stranger, older man hangs outside the window of a kid's room, but that's just me.)  So when she gets home from staying with us, she looks up the career history of Mr. Noodle.  And then emails us the information she found.  And we actually find it interesting. 
 
 
I don't think anything was more telling than New Years Eve.  Staying awake until midnight?  Unlikely.  Wanting to really do anything?  Eh, I could give or take the fact it was New Year's Eve.  All I care about is taking any opportunity I have to shower and relax in quiet.  Of course, as soon as my head hit the pillow on the couch, I'm out.  Wild and crazy nights here at our house.  Look what parenthood has done to us. 
 
 
Man, when did this happen?
 
 
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Nothing wrong with a little Sesame Street watching between 2 adults!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey for us with the older two it was Barney, all day every day. The youngest was never a fan, thank heavens. Trust me you are not the only ones lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know you've watched too much Bob the Builder when you really just think Bob and Wendy should get it over with and just go to bed. Or when you think Dora should stop yelling about everything, or you figure out a drinking game to go along with any kiddy show. It was about that time when I began introducing the boys to movies like Goonies and Shrek.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, that one year old Circle of Life plan sounds hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just to prove your point...this post just sent ME to look up the career history of Mr. Noodle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. La la la la La la la Elmo's World! The songs that get in your head. One of my favorite memories was when my husband started belting out a song from High School Musical. Just wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had thought of the Circle of Life thing two years ago. Sophie is too heavy for me to do that on her upcoming third birthday.

    I've totally googled Mr Noodle, too. And to take it a step further (just wait, this is coming for you) - our DVR is full of Curious George, Daniel Tiger, and Sesame Street. And our phones are all complete with PBSKids app.

    Yep, we're parents.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!