Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A Night out for Mommy and Daddy

I've had several of you ask me about how this last weekend went, how I handled being away from Aubrey for the night, so I thought I'd give you all a weekend recap.  It was rough at the start, but it went really well.  And it was so great to have some time with just T. 
 
 
I was dreading dropping Aubrey off all morning.  I think she picked up on that because she fussed when we left her with my mom.  I handed her over and she started fussing, looking back at me like "where are you going, Mom?"  I cried the whole way to the hotel.  It was hard.
 
 
Two of our closest friends were getting married, one of which was a former coworker of mine at the Department of Child Services.  So it was kind of a mini reunion of sorts with me getting to see some friendly faces. 
 
 
See?  We clean up pretty well.  Note: we did not drop Aubrey off at my sister's house wearing these outfits. As soon as I got dressed that morning she promptly spit up all over my shirt.
 
 
 



Yes, I checked my phone all evening for Facebook updates and my sister texted me plenty of pictures to show me that she was smiling and even sent me a picture of her sleeping.  It reassured me, but it made me miss her more. 


The ceremony was outdoors at an art museum, and one of the Juvenile Court judges I used to work with was the officiant. It was a beautiful ceremony and brought me back to my own wedding day for just a brief moment. It was so wonderful seeing two people so in love starting their lives together.


After the ceremony came cocktail hour. Open bar. Need I say more? The diet kind of went to the wayside, but it sure did help me relax a little bit. Dinner was amazing - fried chicken, mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, biscuits...carbs, carbs and more carbs. But it was awesome. And then came the dancing. I do love me some wedding dancing.





Sure I may have had some beverages at this point.  But I was having fun.  After the wedding, we went out to this bar area called Broadripple (mostly because it was within walking distance, and I was in heels.)  It's this area of town where basically people who can't move past their glory days of college go to drink.  Douche town.  But we just wanted to hang out and have a beer, so we picked a random bar and watched the douches in action.  It was like watching a National Geographic Special:  douches in their natural environment.  We had fun making fun of pretty much 90 percent of the people around me, T got hit on by some random lady who accidentally used the men's bathroom...and I felt old by the end of the night.  But these old folks stayed out until 1 a.m.  Go us!


The next day, though, I couldn't wait to get back to this little girl...

 
(Note:  this picture was taken during a different weekend, but I still love it.)  I was so happy to see my little girl that next morning and kiss all over her.  But all in all it was a good time out, and a much needed one at that.  AND we all survived!  So I think, maybe, just maybe, we can do this again.
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE how you describe Broad Ripple, so true!

    Also, your daughter is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got out, had fun and survived. Baby steps...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! So happy you were able to relax and enjoy yourself. Sounds like you had a great time and I'm stealing the term douche town! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray! You survived. Aubrey survived. But did your sister survive? Looks like you guys had some much needed fun!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!