Monday, September 3, 2012

Motivation Monday: I did it!

Motivation Monday

So on Saturday morning, I decided "Hey, let's get up at 5 a.m. and walk 13.1 miles!"  Because, you know, that seems like something perfectly normal and sane people do, right?  Right?

But no, I had trained, and t his was a goal of mine since Aubrey was born, and dammit, I was going to do it.

It was the Indianapolis Women's Mini Marathon, and it was set to start downtown on Saturday.  I'm no going to lie...I was nervous.  I mean, sure, I did a mini marathon walking before but that was before Aubrey.  Having a child has kind of kicked my butt.  But I thought I was ready.  And then there was the weather.  We were set to get the remnants of Hurricane Issac, and I was petrified it would pour the whole morning.  Luckily it didn't, but I was obsessively refreshing the browser checking on the chances of rain until T made me close the computer screen down.  

So we got up at 5 a.m. on Saturday, and I was set to go.  Nervous, but set to go.

Why, yes, it was dark out when the race started.  I met up with a friend of mine to walk the race.  We walked together most of it, for about 10 miles, but she was having a hard time pushing it, and I really wanted to kick it into high gear the last three miles.  So, with her blessing, I took off.  I must have hauled ass, too, because I finished about 20 minutes in front of her.  And I kind of paid for it with how I felt in the end.

It was humid.  Lord, it was humid.  And I ran the last 0.1 of the 13.1.  They gave us a rose, medals, and there were mimosas and beers at the end.  I love this picture because Aubrey is looking at me like "ew, you smell, Mom!"  T did have her up and cheering for me as I ran by, and she actually clapped her hands when she saw me.  I loved it.

I finished 3:27, with a 15:51 pace.  I think I could have done faster if I had walked on my own, but I'm not sure I would have survived.  Apparently I didn't drink enough because I started cramping in a bad, bad way when we were walking towards the after party area.  And apparently I was really out of it.  So T spent the rest of the day forcing water on me.  Nain was a bit dehydrated. 

This is what happens after you spend the morning walking 13.1 miles....

Now, don't call me crazy here...but I'm tempted to do another half marathon late October. Like I said, do NOT call me crazy.  For now I'm just happy I finished.  Whoo!
So this really isn't "motivation" per se, but I had to talk about it.   Hope everyone has a great Monday!  I'll be hobbling along all day today, I'm sure...


  1. The humidity was awful. Scrappy hasn't had a walk since Friday morning. Right about that picture- that's one for the family album! Glad you survived your self-inflicted torture.

  2. Woo Hoo! Way to go lady! And I just love your race finish photo! Too cute!

  3. Congratulations! What an awesome accomplishment!


Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!