Friday, September 21, 2012

Spin Cycle time!

Second Blooming
 
TGIF, everyone!   So glad it's finally Friday but still, very very nervous about not being around my little girl tomorrow night.  I'll be sure to let all of you know how I survive next week.  I know it'll be fine, but this is tough for this new momma. 
 
 
Anyway, I will distract myself for now with this week's Spin Cycle brought to you by Gretchen from Second Blooming.  This week's Spin is on hometowns.  You know, I don't really have one hometown with which I identify.  My childhood was pretty much evenly split between two different locations.  So I kind of consider both of them my home base.  One of them I remember more than the other, but still. 
 
 
When I was little up until my 10th birthday I lived in Huntsville, AL.  Yep, I was a Southern girl.  I had such an accent, which is funny because it's completely gone now.  It only seems to slip out every now and then, and every time it does, T finds it absolutely hilarious.  I loved it down there.  We lived in a neighborhood which was directly across the street from NASA's Space and Rocket Center.  It's kind of sad because the neighborhood has really gone down hill recently, but I loved my neighborhood when we lived there.  My best friend lived in my neighborhood so we hung out all the time, and we were always outside playing in the yard or riding bikes down our street.  My Mom taught P.E. at my school, so after school I always got to hang out in the gym and use the equipment and just play around.   Honestly, I don't have a negative thing to say about this place.  I hate that I don't remember everything, and as I type this I'm trying to think up details of growing up there but coming up short.  My brother and sister will talk about it and say "remember this?"  Nope.  I was relatively young when we moved, so I guess that's just natural.  But it was a great place to grow up. 
 
 
 
When I was in 4th grade, we moved up to Indiana when my Dad changed jobs.  My siblings and I were, of course, devastated.  It was a tough adjustment because the schools were so different, and I was the new girl who dressed differently and had a strange accent.  It took awhile for me to make new friends and adjust, but I eventually did.  My parents still live in Noblesville, and it's only 45 minutes away from where I live now so I go home frequently.  So I don't really get the chance to "miss" my hometown per se.  I don't really have much attachment to it, actually.  It was a great place to grow up, too, but I do have some not-so-great memories from that place.  But that's my hometown.  It's where I grew up and graduated high school.   But the thought of ever living there again?  Um...no thanks...
 
 
I don't really want to do that to Aubrey as she grows up.  I know that with T's job there is always that chance for a transfer, but I want her to have a hometown with which to identify herself.  I want her to grow up going to the same church, having a good group of friends, and a sense of home in a town.  Sure, she might want to get the hell out of there when she graduates high school, but I would like to provide that to her.  It's why T and I built our house where we did.  We have every intention of staying here and growing our family here.  It's my "new" hometown. 
 
 
So that's my spin...stop by Gretchen's blog and see what others have to say.  Have a great weekend, everyone!
 
 

3 comments:

  1. I so completely agree! It's hard for me to imagine Jude growing up to be as "place proud" as I am, Los Angeles being such a huge place. That's why we have him in the tiny school in a tiny community within the city. I'm hoping this specific area becomes his "hometown".

    You are linked!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I feel the same way about my hometown as you do (although it's in NC & I'm in Ohio). It was just there, it's where I grew up & went to school & I have friends there, but I'm not all that attached to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, I have the opposite mode - living in PA it's never felt like 'home' - so I've never dug in and put down roots. Sure, we bought a cool house that was built in 1817 and I'll miss it when we leave, but I want to be where it feels like 'home' to me - and I want to make sure we move before Princess Nagger gets too old to make it hard for her to move away from her friends here - at least she knows that this would be her very last year at the Elementary School, since next year 5th grade moves to totally different school for Middle School. The perfect time to move to where we will put down roots and never move again. ;)


    Homesick for my Hometown – Washington State

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!