Friday, September 14, 2012

I work out

Second Blooming
 
 
This week's Spin Cycle with Gretchen at Second Blooming is on exercise.  It's a topic that has a huge part of my life right now as I work hard to eat healthier and get stronger.  Actually, it's something that has been pretty important to me for some time.  It started back in law school in my third year.  I would get up early before classes, head to the gym, do 60 minutes on the treadmill and elliptical while reading assignments for class.  (Good way to stay awake while reading boring case law!)  I continued during my studies for the bar.  Instead of reading assignments, I would read my Barbri outlines. 


I'll admit it's gotten a little harder with the lil' one.  She's pretty demanding, and I try to take sleep when I can.  And both T and I are fairly active people.  He's training for a marathon in November, and I just did a mini-marathon.  So we alternate who gets up at 5:30 to run.  One of us tries to work out when we get home from work, but that hardly ever happens because, by the time we get home from our 45 minute commute, it's time to feed the Aubster and eat.  So yeah, we alternate days and then both try to exercise on the weekends.  It takes a little effort, and it's not as much as I'd ideally like to do, but....it is what it is. 


I finished my 2nd half marathon two weeks ago, and I'll be training for my next one in May 2013.  T's doing that one with me, but he's doing those long 2-3 hour runs right now for the marathon.  Craziness.  Aubrey and I will be cheering him on, but like I said...craziness. 


My favorite times to exercise are when I get to take Little Miss Aubrey to go for a walk in the running stroller.  She either 1) falls asleep, 2) starts babbling and cooing the whole time or 3) looks all around and keeps glancing up to make sure it's me still pushing her.  It's hilarious.  But I gotta say...pushing a 21 lb baby in a stroller is a workout in and of itself! 


I do have two races coming up, too.  One 5K is September 29th, and it's raising awareness for Ovarian Cancer, a disease which took my aunt at 33 years old, and T will be running that one with me.  (He'll have to go extra slow since  I'm nowhere near the runner he is!) The other is a fun one, called "Wine at the Line."  It's on a Saturday evening on October 6, and it's a 4 mile race around a winery back in the country, and at the end you get a free wine glass, wine tasting and pizza.  Can't beat that!



Anyway, this is my long-winded spin on exercise.  See what other spinners have to say at
Gretchen's blog!  And have a wonderful weekend, everyone!
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. A mini marathon?! Dang, girl, I'm impressed. I haven't even run an entire 5K yet. How long is a mini marathon anyway? Half a marathon? 13 miles? Amazing. And I think it's really excellent that you and T are both staying so active now that Aubrey is here. It's really important.

    You are linked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only I were a runner I'd totally do the Wine at the Line run. But sadly, my relationship with running will never be. I'll just have to live vicariously through you instead! ;)


    Exercise in Futility

    ReplyDelete
  3. I toy with idea of working up to running a 5K but don't have the inner gumption yet. Maybe next summer, once I start running outside again.
    Good for you to be getting out. Finding time is the hardest part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wine at the line?!? That sounds like a blast! I want to do a race like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, a half marathon? That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wine at the line? That would get a lot more people off their asses if they knew that reward was at the finish line :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!