Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Can I leave reality again?

I am a slacker today, folks.  Yes, it's true.  It's back to reality for Nain and T, and I don't wanna do it.  In fact, I'm kicking and screaming the entire way.  Why?  Because coming back to reality has, well, kind of sucked. 
 
We took yesterday off to try to recover from jet lag and get things in order, which was a great idea in hindsight.  However, what I didn't think would happen is we would have 2 broken cars and both of us sick.  Both of us have brought back some kind of cold/sinus viral thing from the plane or Ireland.   I woke up feeling like death yesterday, and T was like that the day before.  We're taking our vitamins and medicine to feel better, but I'm seriously dragging. 
 
That and the car thing.  Side note, I hate dealing with cars.  I just do.  I could totally  move to a big city and deal solely with public transportation and be perfectly happy.  That was one of the things I loved about Dublin.  But alas, I have a car.  And before the wedding T's car started making some weird noises, so we got that checked out and fixed (an actuator was acting up or something...hell, I don't even know what it is, but it was acting up), and the price wasn't too shabby.  So, as I'm pulling into the driveway in my car, I notice a loud scraping noise like metal dragging on the concrete.  I get out of my car, lay down on the driveway (which was attractive, I'm sure) and check to see if anything was dragging under my car.  Nope, nothing was.  So we drove it around and realized the brakes were the cause of the noise.  Yeah, that's not good, so after much convincing, T gets me to take my car to the dealer and get it checked out. (I told him that I could drive it until this weekend, but he didn't like the idea of my brakes failing.  I even said I would be willing to take non-interstate routes to work but he said fiery car crashes on side roads aren't better either...) So, we took it in and we got a rental for today so they can keep it overnight.  Shortly before dinner, we get the phone call.  It wasn't a pretty phone call either.  Turns out my brakes on all four wheels are completely shot.  Like falling apart shot.  In fact, the mechanic said the rear one was falling off in pieces.  And something else called a serpentine belt was cracked and a whole bunch of other things wrong.  Basically I'm driving a death mobile to work on a daily basis on the Interstate through downtown Indy.  The fact I've made it to work alive is a miracle of loaves and fishes.  So, everything  needs replaced.  And the price wasn't what made me want to start hyperventilating.  $1,200.  Seriously?  Why?  We just fixed T's car and now mine is dying? 
 
So it's in the shop today, and I'm driving some Toyota around.  We'll be picking up my Saturn this afternoon after work, but I'm still in shock from the news from yesterday.  Hello, reality.  Welcome home, right?  So we need a plan.  A plan to pay off our car bill.  I came up with said brilliant plan last night at dinner. 
 
We need a reality show.  On TLC.  So I figure, we could start trying to have kids now instead of later, but make sure we have multiples.  And not just like twins or triplets, but like eight kids.  And these eight kids could grow up to be bakers in a shop we have in our home selling cakes and chocolate, but, for part of the pregnancy I could not know that I was pregnant so I can get on that show, too.  And maybe we could hoard, too?  Or no, that would get our children taken away from us, but maybe the girls could be on beauty pageants.  Yes, beauty pageants are much better than hoarding.
 
T didn't think it was such a great idea.  I just feel bad that now that we're married I'm causing us to go into debt to fix my POS car.  So I'm desperate to think of ways to help with this.  But, it sounds like we'll be in the market for a new car shortly. 
 
They did say for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, and in sickness and in health, right?  We just didn't realize they meant it so literally and that it would happen so damn quickly.  It's a good thing T is there to keep me sane, I'm not sure I could deal with this without him. He's my rock. 
 
So I'll be back with more wedding/honeymoon posts after I recover from my shock from yesterday.  God willing, I'll be driving a safer car to work tomorrow!
 

5 comments:

  1. OH NO...I hope you feel better and the car is fixed quickly...you don't need a large fee for hours spent to fix it. Yuck...that is not fun to come home to after a blissful honeymoon!!

    I just grabbed your button...you'll have to get mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear.. that is dreadful. I'm sorry! Maybe you shouldn't fix it -some places will come pick up your car and buy it from you for $200 -even if it doesn't run- for parts and stuff. Some junkyard or something does that around here. And then you can put all the money that would go to fixing it towards a new car!

    It would suck having only one car for a while -it's what my husband and I are doing- but it might be worth it.

    Also, don't feel badly! It's not your fault that your car decided to fall apart :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same way. Both times I went to Hawaii, I got sick the next day after getting home. Glad your car is getting repaired though. At least you're not finding out about the brakes in the worst way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh... What a bad way of coming back to reality!
    Hope everything turns out fine!!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh - no fun! Maybe your car knew you'd be on post honeymoon highs and figured now was the time to breakdown so it wouldn't be soooo bad...

    Luckily you got the problem fixed before something bad happened. Hang in there!

    Post wedding and honeymoon bliss can conquer all!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!