Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Grand Entrance

The topic of this week’s Spin Cycle brought to you by Sprite's Keeper is laughter, and I couldn’t think of a better story for all of you than to tell you about the bridal party entrance to the reception. See, T and I had thought long and hard about how we wanted to enter the reception hall. I’ve been to a lot of weddings where it’s really cheesy how they come in, and the way our DJ was originally explaining how he does entrances, I thought we were going to be coming in like a late 1990s NBA basketball game. I didn’t want that. I wanted something funny, something that was us.

We tossed around the idea of coming in to gangsta rap, but our elderly relatives would be in attendance so we didn’t really want to offend anyone. T is really into rock and metal music, so he made the suggestion of coming in to Black Sabbath’s “Iron Man.” I wasn’t sure, but after pulling up the song in iTunes, I knew this is how we had to come in. (Now for those of you who aren’t familiar with the song, pull it up really quickly and then come back for the rest of the story. Trust me, it’s worth it.)

We decided to keep the song on the down low with the parents, in case the idea got nixed before the wedding, but we did tell the bridal party in advance. My brother took the idea and ran with it, stopping at a party store the day of the wedding to get some props for our entrance.   He got some cheap sunglasses for all of us to wear, some fake rocker wigs, inflatable microphones and inflatable guitar.    The finishing touch?  A bat.  And my brother was clever enough to cut the head of said bat and then tape it back together so that when he entered, he could bite the bat's head just like Ozzy.  We were so set. 

So we arrive at the reception and the DJ corrals us downstairs before our entrance.  We can hear music and rumbling above us as people mingled at the reception hall, and pretty soon, the DJ asked everyone to get to their seats so that the bridal party could be announced.  The room quiets down and pretty soon all you can hear is this loud drum beat and an even louder guitar chord followed by a robotic voice saying "I am Ironman..."  Then the music starts, and for those of you who are familiar with this famous song, you can imagine how this went (loud and very rock).  We could hear laughter starting upstairs before anyone was announced, so at least it was well received.  The first person announced was my nephew, the ring bearer, who is about 7 years old and loves Guitar Hero.  He came in with sunglasses and the inflatable guitar.  My brother came in and bit the head off the bat and threw it in the crowd, and T's brother rocked the black 80s rock band wig.  It was classic.  Definitely one of those mental picture moments I will remember forever.  I only wish I could have been upstairs to see the looks on people's faces when the music started.

After T and I were announced, I rushed over to my mother to give her a hug and say "surprise!"  She was laughing, so that was good, right?  Mission accomplished.  If you knew me and my family, you'd have to know that this kind of stunt is to be expected.  I couldn't be serious if I tried. 

Since I consider laughter a treasure, too, I'm going to use this as well as part of Chantel's Small Treasure Tuesdays  (one day late, mind you but I blame the jet lag).  Check out her site to read about other people's small treasure's and Sprite Keeper's site to read other spins about laughter!

(Oh, and Blogger and I aren't on speaking terms today.  I've tried all day to upload the picture from our entrance at the reception without success, so I'll keep trying.  Sorry guys!)

 
 

10 comments:

  1. That is awesome!! I can't wait to see the pictures! My husband is going to love this story when I tell him!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogger and Internet explorer are not really speaking. I had to go to Google Chrome to be able to load pictures. Mozilla firefox should work too. That might help in the picture loading department.
    And your entracne sounds like it was great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have problems with Internet Explorer and blogger. So I use Mozilla...
    Love your entrance!!
    Can't wait to see the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome is that! I would have loved to see that kind of entrance!
    John and I kept it simple on our entrance, but I remember having my heart set on "All over the World" by ELO from the Xanadu soundtrack for our entrance, but the deejay nixed it due to the singing and such. Of course, he wasn't that great a deejay, it probably would have kicked butt. :-)
    You're linked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, miss, you'll just have to find a way to upload that picture! I'm dying to see it! I might consider something like that for my own wedding... In my case, I think it will be Hallelujah....

    ReplyDelete
  6. LMBO I would have busted a gut at that, and my son would have been rocking out with you lol..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get the greatest delight from stories like yours. To celebrate the fun and friendship of marriage from the very start is wonderful. Wish you had a video - it would be fun to see.

    Glad to have found you through Small Treasure Tuesdays. (I contributed the post - Strawberries, Chocolate and a Captive Audience.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! What a perfect, fun way to include part of your personalities, and relationship, into your entrance and reception.

    I'm loving hearing about your special day!
    And I'm glad you like the earrings, I'll email you back soon.

    Thanks for linking up to Small Treasure Tuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how FUN! Now that would be a wedding reception I'd love to experience! ;)

    SC: Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so awesome. I love it when people do something so unexpected. BTW... Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!