Thursday, September 16, 2010

Gonna go get me some learnin

The topic of this week’s Spin Cycle, brought to you by Sprite’s Keeper, is on education. Growing up, education was always super important in my household. My mom is a teacher, and now both my brother and sister are teachers, as well. When you have a mom who works at the same elementary school you attend you know you better behave in class and you better do well in class. Lucky for my parents, I was one gigantic nerd. I loved to read and write and do my homework. I always got everything done on time and always got A’s on my tests. Well....until we moved to Indiana from Alabama in my 4th grade year, and then I had a little bit of a struggle to catch up to a more advanced school system in my new hometown. But I did it, eventually.

Science and math were never really my favorite subjects, though. My dad’s an engineer so he would always be the one stuck helping me with my word problems in math class every night. Oh boy, did I hate word problems. Really, who cares if a train leaves one station at a certain time and the other train leaves another station at the same time at a different speed…hell, I don’t even know where I’m going with this, I’ve already lost my train of thought. (No pun intended.) History and English were my favorites and still are. I love to read, and I love to learn about history. I even have a favorite President. (Teddy Roosevelt. Yes, I know, I’m a nerd.) And when I was a kid, I created my own sovereign government in my bedroom with a written constitution, cities, mayors, congress, the whole nine yards. It was called “Alainia.”

Well, I guess the studiousness paid off because it did get me through four years of undergraduate studies in journalism and then three years of law school. I was never a huge fan of high school, but I absolutely loved college. I loved all the options I got in classes, the people I met, the beauty of the campus where I went (Go Hoosiers!), everything. Those were hands down, the best four years of my life. I learned more things than I thought possible and went through some difficult experiences but some rewarding ones nonetheless. While journalism was my goal, in the end I chose a different path and went towards the law. I made the decision my junior year to apply to law school and went full steam ahead.

Law school was different.   I went from this huge university to a rather small law school.  I often compare law school to junior high.  You have your cliques, everyone is competitive and petty, and everyone knows everyone's business.  I hated junior high, and I wasn't a big fan of law school either.  It's very cutthroat and competitive, and that is totally not me.  I basically treaded water to get through law school and didn't look back as soon as that hood was placed over my head and diploma in hand.  Would I do law school again?  Um...no, no thank you.  And honestly, I don't know a whole lot of lawyers who would say that they would ironically.

Of course, law school is a big tease, you know.  Sure, you have a law degree, but you can't use it without that license.  Thus comes the tortuous summer of constant studying for the bar exam.  I can feel 100% comfortable in saying that the bar exam was hands down the hardest things I have ever done in my life.  I studied 8-12 hours a day for 2 1/2 straight months, and in Indiana, we take two days of testing, one day with six hour essays and one with seven hours of multiple choice.  When I left, I was exhausted, and I had myself convinced I failed.  The multiple choice counted for 50% of the test, and I seriously thought I bombed it.  I called my dad and cried the whole way home that I was going to fail.  You then have to wait three months to get the results, and in Indiana they give you the results by posting them on a huge list online of who passed.  That list was posted at 8:00 a.m. on September 29th.  I was shaking as I scrolled down the list and found my name and then burst into tears when I saw it.  I have never felt so much relief in my entire life.  Would I take the bar exam again?  Um, hell no.  I say that with full confidence.  Hell to the no.  But I did pass on the first try so go me, right? 

So that's my story on my education.  I feel so bad for our kids because between T and I we have two undergraduate degrees, a masters in engineering and a juris doctorate.  We like our learning, and we're nerds and damn proud of it. 

So go get your learning on and check out the other stories at Sprite's Keeper!


7 comments:

  1. I'm in a family full of teachers too. I actually got my masters in education, but didn't go that route in the end. All in all, I like learning, but ever since I had kids, my brain just can't keep any information. My hubby always makes fun of me because he can read and then basically dumb it down for me to understand. But when I read something that I want to share, I then forget all the important aspects of it and just tell him to read it himself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dont feel sorry for your children be happy that they have good examples in you two :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh meant to say that I am saying hello from Blog Frog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was always a bit scared of a graduate degree. My hubby has one and that's enough for us. I have two undergrad degrees though. Learning was always just expected for me. My brother, he's another case altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  5. History and English are my favorite subjects too! As well as theatre... but mostly History and English. For the same reasons too :-)

    Also, Good Old Teddy was my favorite president for the longest time! We do have a bit in common don't we? :-)

    You are awesome. Passing the bar on the first try, surviving law school and everything. That is very impressive.

    I'm still working towards my bachelors. I love learning! I really, really do. But I don't really like the system. I very much agree that College is much better than High School.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait, are you saying not everyone has a favorite president?

    Crazy talk!

    p.s.~ I love you THISSSSSSSS much for listening to my Name/URL suggestion - it makes my life SO much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honors English and Math were my favorite subjects - I would have liked History more if my History teacher didn't suck pond water. I've learned (and enjoyed learning) more history since I've graduated than I ever did in school! ;) I think it's great that you and your hubby both have accomplished so much education-wise, you are a stellar example for your kids. And the fact that you ENJOYED it, that's what counts most. :)


    Spin: Education

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!