Friday, September 10, 2010

Spin Cycle: The Great Outdoors

This week’s Spin Cycle, brought to you by the Spin-master herself, Jen at Sprite’s Keeper, is about nature, the great outdoors, being out and experiencing the beauty around us. This topic…is well, not one I’m really drawn to, but I’m totally up for the challenge, so let’s do this…

Now, I am by no means a nature girl. My idea of “roughing it” is staying at a Holiday Inn Express. And experiencing nature and wild life? I’d much rather go to the zoo and see it behind cages where it can’t bother me. I’m just not into it. No desire to go camping whatsoever, which is great because T doesn’t have that urge either.

However, this isn’t to say that I haven’t experienced nature, the great outdoors. Back when I was just a young thing, my parents tortured…er, I mean, gave us the great opportunity to go camping around the state parks where we lived. I lived the first 10 years of my life in Huntsville, Alabama, close to the Smokey Mountains, where you could always see green hills on the horizon (compared the flat land we have here in Indiana overgrown by corn stalks). We had one of those pop-up campers, so at least we weren’t on the ground in tents, but it was still roughing it in my young eyes. We went everywhere: Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, South Carolina…all over the southeastern part of the country. I got to see so many cool things, yes, and experience places that not every child gets to experience so for that I’m definitely grateful. However, being outside with the bugs, having to hike in your flip flops to shower in bathrooms that were absolutely disgusting and also bug-ridden, and being forced to hike for 3-4 hours with my parents in the woods with no food or water, well…all of this left much to be desired.

We always brought with us our toys, a few dolls for the trip, coloring books, Frisbees, bikes, you name it. As the youngest of three, my parents would sometimes let us walk to the nearby playground areas and venture out on our own. Of course, with today’s dangers, I definitely wouldn’t tell my children they could just wander off into the woods, but this was the 1980s. People were more trusting. And I was a brave girl. Whenever we would go hiking, I’d be the one walking along the edge of the cliff. I had no fear, and I thought I could be self-sufficient without my parents or sister and brother.

I do remember one such occasion where this got me in trouble. I don’t recall how old I was, possibly seven or eight years old, and I don’t recall which park or state we were in at the time, but I do remember that I went to the playground with my brother and sister, and while we were there, we saw this outside amphitheater place next door. Of course, we all got on stage and pretended we were stars in some play, performing for audiences of thousands. We had a great time, but of course, we had to get back to the camper, so off we went. However, later in the day, I got this bright idea. See, I had brought one of my “children” (a Cabbage Patch doll, as I had about 5 of these, and I considered myself their mother and them my children) This particular doll was my favorite. Her name was Cara, and she had that corn silk hair you could brush instead of the normal yarn the old dolls had. I decided I was going to show my daughter what we discovered earlier in the day. So, without anyone noticing, I walked off, doll in hand. I managed to find the place, did my desired “sight-seeing,” and I’m not even sure how long I was gone at that point. I headed back to the camper, fully being aware of how to get back safely and soundly (I knew what I was doing, you know…), and as I get back to the camper, I see my parent’s van is gone. My mom is walking up and down the street around our campsite yelling my name, and when she sees me, she about faints. Apparently not long after I disappeared, my parents noticed I was gone and freaked out. My dad was out driving the campgrounds searching for me, and my mom had been walking around trying to find me for about 30 minutes. Of course, I was oblivious and thought she was crazy to be so upset. I mean, I was just showing my daughter the cool thing we found earlier. What’s so wrong with that?

My poor parents…I can’t help but think karma is going to come back at me for that one.

So that’s my story of adventures in the great outdoors. Stop by Sprite’s Keeper to read other posts on nature. Some of these people might actually like nature, too!

6 comments:

  1. What a funny story!!!

    Snakes are my biggest fear so I don't like anything that will bring me in contact with them... like hiking and camping! (also, emailed you by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it amusing now that I can see both sides of that tale, the little girl who didn't see anything wrong with going somewhere she had been before by herself and the mother who, once she realizes her kid isn't where she's supposed to, is searching. Glad that ended well, but you may have been stuck to her side for the rest of that trip. :-)
    You're linked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story reminds me of the time I decided to ride my bike farther than I should have when I was about 8 years old. No big deal to me, but by the time I got back close to our house, there was a huge search party out looking for me. I didn't understand what all the hubbub was about ~ I certainly knew what I was doing. It's funny how I can remember exactly what I was feeling so many years ago. Oh, and I'm not a fan of camping either. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of my camping trips have been since I was older--if I had to go off the one I had as a child, I'd never go camping again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, that's strange your parents wouldn't have brought any water on a 3-4 hour hiking trip.

    Anyway, your cabbage patch doll has the same name as my sister. Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear... I hope karma isn't too vengeful :-)

    I don't much like camping either, however there are occasions when it's fun. I much prefer sleeping in a tent trailer or camper than just a tent on the ground :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!