Thursday, January 26, 2012

Vacation, all I ever wanted...

This week we received a piece of mail from Disney addressed to our "family."  It's like Disney was aware we were with child and was already cashing in on the hundreds of dollars they will most certainly get from us during Half-pint's lifetime or at least her childhood.  Don't get me wrong...I went to Disney World as a little girl, and I have every intention of taking our children there, too, but let's wait until the kiddo is out of the womb.  Or maybe let's wait until she's old enough to know what's going on, too, when she's at the park. 


Despite the bad timing of Disney's advertisement, T and I have been talking about starting a tradition of taking annual vacations as a family.  In previous years, we haven't really done that just the two of us.  Any "vacations" we have taken have either been to visit out of town family or tagging along with my parents somewhere.  And while that's all fun and well and good, etc., it's not what we want to do every single year.  Now that we have a little one on the way, we want to start taking vacations - just us.   One of those vacations will definitely involve a visit to Disney in the future (Be ready, Sprite's Keeper!)  This year, however, we're a little low on funds and vacation days (thanks unpaid maternity leave!), and well, Half-pint is going to be pretty little still.  But we're still determined to do some sort of mini vacation.  I think we deserve it after this year, don't you? 


So right now, our destinations are limited...within driving distances, of course.  We're leaning towards St. Louis but have absolutely no idea of what we would want to do there, where to stay, etc.  So anyone who has been to St. Louis or has any good ideas of nice Midwest destinations, do share!    What does your family do for vacations?  Is it important to have that time to get away as a family and just explore? 

5 comments:

  1. Personally I think it is important to throw off the kids routine as much as possible, I know that sounds sarcastic but it's not! I think if you can, make a point to take your baby to dinner parties where you go past their bedtime and bring a portable crib for them to fall asleep in until it's time to go home. Go for sleep overs at your families houses, mini vacations to (in our case, we are spoiled) the beach or the mountain. I think it's good for the kid to get used to falling asleep in new & different places, then if they have to when you do decide to travel it's not that big of a deal. I love vacations. Going anywhere together as a family is important, it creates memories. Take lots of pictures! I'm hoping your posts are about to get a lot more photos in the weeks to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help you there... hahaha
    But MJ and I are also a little low on funds since we want to remodel the house a little bit, so finally we're not going to do any vacation this year. We'll stay at home and save some money. It sucks but maybe my in-laws organize some amazing trip and invite us! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any suggestions for Midwest destinations. We are decidedly west here. I do think it's awesome that you are planning mini vacations. We have taken our boys on road trips since they came to join our family. Travel with kids is fun and exhausting, but mostly fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! We get mail addressed to our "family" all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!