Monday, October 11, 2010

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Things are a’changing. I knew it was going to happen, but that doesn’t make things feel any less weird. Well, not weird in a bad weird, but weird in a “I am going to have to get used to this” kind of weird. I’m a married lady now. When I talk about T, I refer to him as my husband. It sounds weird coming out of my mouth because I never in a million years thought that I would be saying those words. And, with being married, my last name has changed as well.

Changing my last name has been one hell of an ordeal, and I’m not even halfway there. Last week, I took a day off of work to head to the Social Security office to get the process started. It was relatively painless. I brought a book with me, expecting to waste hours in the waiting room for my number to be called. So I got there, took my number and sat down. Not even five minutes later, my number, A40 was called. The whole process took a matter of ten minutes. Of course, it takes 24 hours for the official change to go through, so my planned trip to the BMV did not occur. I had to put that off for another day. I decided “hey, Saturday sounds like a good day. Let’s get up really early and deal with the people at the BMV. What a way to start the weekend, right?”

On Saturday, we got up bright and early and took every single vital document we thought would be necessary to get my new license. (See, Indiana has recently made this process very difficult requiring that you bring documents proving your address, your identity, and then you have to sign your application in blood….ha, no, maybe the first two things, but still, it’s a pain.) The place opened at 8:30 a.m., so we got there at 8:20. There was already a line, so we got in line so that when the doors opened, we would be ready to go. We were able to change my license, even though the lady who was helping us had a difficult time understanding why my married name was not on my passport and bills. Um, yeah…see, I am changing my name? Prior to September 18th, this wasn’t my name? And don’t I need an updated, accurate license to update my passport? The whole thing seemed contradictory, but $10.00 and 30 minutes later, I had a new license.

I was hoping that I could change my registration the same day, you know, to pay one bill in one trip rather than do multiple ones? Well, no, apparently you can change your license, but my bank where I have my car loan needs to write the BMV a letter for me to change my name on my registration. So, I guess I’m not done with the BMV yet. 

Going off a high of changing my name on my license, we decided to go hog wild and add me to T’s checking account and combine cell phone accounts. In addition, I’ve had to put a request into the Supreme Court to change my name with the Roll of Attorneys for Indiana. This only gets thing started, though. I will be changing my name for the next month or so. It just isn’t fair. Why doesn’t T have to do all of this?

And for my loyal readers, I do need to add this…now that I am married and my name is changing, my initials now spell ASS. I wish I could make that up, but sadly, I cannot. My parents cursed me with the first two initials AS, so it was just fate that I would marry someone whose last name began with the letter S. I will be getting monogrammed items for the rest of my life, I fear. However, it only seems appropriate for those of you who know me well. I’m now a married woman, and I’m now officially, legally an ASS.

Ch-ch-ch-changes…

I do have more changes happening right now, too, aside from my name, and I will be posting about that soon...more to come!

11 comments:

  1. Wow - lots of changes. I had forgotten about all that fun. Are you having a hard time signing your new last name or were you practicing beforehand? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so weird how differently that is state to state. When I changed my stuff here in SC I got it all done in one day. Registration, license, SS card...no issues whatsoever. Leave it to Indiana to make it difficult!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha I didn't finish my sentence. I meant "how differently that is DONE state to state. whoops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwww! I have nightmares about the dmv and changing names, SO glad it went smooth for you! I bet you are having so much fun signing your new name!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww. I'm sorry!
    I thought wedding planning was the worst thing in the world... but it seems changing your name is even worse... :(
    Fortunately, married women do not change their maiden name in Spain. We keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Officially and legally an ASS! I love it. You know not many people can make that claim so I'd wear it proudly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAHA...You are such an ASS...teasing only! The name change thing is horrible! I still need to do it on my passport and my work e-mail! I never knew how many places had my name!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been married for 12 years and the documents for the house still have my maiden name on them. It's the one thing that we just never got changed. It's a pain to remember all the places that have your name--worse if you have a professional life under your maiden name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ASS. Haha. That's actually kind of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I changed my name almost 9 years ago and still remember the horrors. Of course, John wasn't a citizen yet, so we had to answer quite a few questions since he was still considered a foreigner. Since he was sworn in about a month later, they decided to wait until then to make me official. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with all of that! It sure is a hassle. I've been married a little over a year, but I'm still putting off some of it...

    Love your new initials :-P

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!