Thursday, October 28, 2010

Trick or treat, smell my feet...

The topic of this week's Spin Cycle, brought to you by Sprite's Keeper is Halloween.  A holiday dedicated to candy...how can you go wrong with that?  Seriously, though...I do love Halloween.  It's not my absolute favorite holiday, but I still enjoy it nonetheless.  How could you not? 
As a kid, deciding on what I would be for Halloween was always a big process.  We had a big trash bag full of old Halloween costumes that my parents kept in their bedroom closet, and we would try to recycle costumes as best as humanly possible but still create something new and different from the previous year.  I could totally embarrass my brother here and talk about some of the costumes he had as a kid, because trust me, they were pretty dorky, but I won't.   I am trying to remember some of my better ones...I do remember that one year when I won a ribbon at our school's Halloween party for my fairy godmother costume.  One year I dressed up like an 80s rock star with fish net stockings, pink hair and all, and looking back, I think "why did my parents let me dress like this?"  If I wore it now at my age I would just look like a prostitute, but I was 9, so it wasn't like that.  But the majority of our Halloween costumes would be either handmade by my mother or would be parts of an old costume that were passed down from my previous siblings.  Not the costume stuff that you see at the store now.  Nope, we were creative.  And cheap, but hey, it worked!
Now that I'm older and it would honestly be creepy for me to go trick-or-treating by myself (sans child, of course), so I live vicariously through my nieces and nephews.  My youngest niece, Roo, still lets me go out with her and actually gets excited about it.  (My older nieces and nephews are getting to the point where their Aunt Nain might embarrass them in front of their friends...)  So we'll be going out with my sister and Roo, who will be dressed up as Hello Kitty this year.  Last year she was a bride (isn't that the cutest thing ever?)  I always love going out with her because I can get her to pick my favorite candy from a few houses.  It's usually the Junior Mints, but I like to get the Reeses Cups for T, too. 
Someday we'll have chillun' of our own, and we'll get to dress them up and go out trick-or-treating all over again...like somehow things come full circle, you know? 
Stop by Sprite's Keeper and see what other Halloween tales people have to share.  And what about you?  What was your favorite costume?  What are your kiddos dressing up as this year?

6 comments:

  1. I think a bride costume would be super cute. Ava is going to be Wonder Woman. In fact, today she is because I am taking her to a Halloween party at my sister's work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, why aren't you embarrassing your brother? I thought that's what blogs are all about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love Hello Kitty!! I'm sure you're niece is gonna be so cute!

    Hmm I have no kids, and I don't like dressing up... And I'm too old to go out trick-or-treating. But I've already bought lots and lots of candies for the children of the neighborhood and my students :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember any of the costumes I had as a child. I do remember my cousin going as a skeleton. It was a black costume with white bones. I never could understand how anyone would think he was a skeleton because you could still see his body. It wasn't until much later that the light bulb came one. In the dark all that would show would be the white bones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great memories! My favorite costume was a bag of leaves. Pretty much a card board circle "neck" with leaves glued on it stapled to some garbage bags. And I wore twist ties in my hair and glued some leaves to a hat as well. I won most creative costume! That was a good year :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. those costumes sound darling! I love Halloween. It's so fun to dress up! That is something I'm looking forward to too- someday dressing up my kids and trick-or-treating through them :-)

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!