Friday, October 29, 2010

I miss her

Some people touch your life so much that when they are gone, you still feel they are still near...
I want to take this opportunity to dedicate my post today to my wonderful Grandma.  See, her birthday was actually on Halloween.  In fact, the month of October is actually a month that brings lots of memories of my Grandma.  She was born on October 31, was married on October 24, had my mother on October 14, and she passed away 10 years ago on October 17.  It's hard not to think of her this time of year.
Last year, when T and I were getting pictures together for our slide show for the wedding, my mom had given me a large photo album with all sorts of pictures from my childhood.  One picture (this one) I used as a bookmark for my reading because I loved it so much.  One night, I was reading in bed while T was getting ready to turn in for the night, I came across the picture.  And, out of the blue, I started crying and couldn't stop. I sat there looking at it, examining it closely, looking at the happy faces my brother and sister and I had, as well as the smile on my Grandma's face.  (I'm the one to her left, if you didn't already know, with the huge cheesy smile.)  I remember that day.  I couldn't have been more than seven or eight in that picture, maybe younger. She and my Grandpa had come down to Alabama for the weekend to celebrate my Grandma's birthday.  We had hit the mall earlier that day, and I absolutely had to get her a present.  I had no money, but I wanted it to come from me. 

I knew she collected items with geese on them.  She had one of those geese that you put on your front porch and dressed up in different seasonal outfits.  (I was always so excited to see what the goose would be wearing when we came over for a visit.)  Even when she was in the final stages of her cancer, she still changed that goose for the seasons or at least had my mom do it.  So imagine my happiness when I was at the dollar store and found the perfect little goose figurine to put in her miniature display box she had in her kitchen.  It was only $1, which was great because that was exactly how much my allowance was!  I made my mom take my Grandma out of the store and proudly bought the item to surprise her later.  I even wrapped the little thing up.  I was so excited for her to open it and see what I got her.  And, if I remember correctly, she had that little goose up in her kitchen until my Grandpa moved out of the house years after she passed. 

I loved her so much.  She was the matriarch of our family, the glue that held us all together.  Family events were always huge and full of amazing food, thanks to her.  I don't think I have a single bad memory from family get togethers at her house.   I was a sophomore in college when she passed away from cancer.  She fought the fight, but she couldn't conquer the disease.  It was a heartbreaking loss for all of us.  I still can't believe that it has been ten years now that she has been gone.  It feels just like yesterday. 

One of the bittersweet parts of our wedding day was remembering people who couldn't have been with us that day.  T is lucky in that he has most of his grandparents, but I just have my Grandpa left.  He means the world to me.  I know he misses my Grandma every day, though, and it breaks my heart.  We had a candle on the altar lit in memory of my Grandma, as well as Tim's Grandpa Lou, my Grandma on my Dad's side, and my Aunt Linda.  I also carried a hankerchief from each of my grandmothers in my bouquet in memory of them.  But it would have meant the world to me to have her sitting out there with the rest of my family.  She would have loved T. 

Looking at that little girl in that picture, it makes me sad to think that I had no idea that someday she would be gone.  Back then, I didn't know the realities of life and death.  I didn't think that I wouldn't have my Grandma there with me.  I lived in the moment.  I remember how it was just the coolest thing ever that my Grandma came to visit us, and we had so much fun that weekend.  In that moment I was truly happy.  And I cherish those moments forever and always will.  I look at that picture, and I feel so blessed and lucky that I had this amazing woman in my life. 

I miss her every day.  I don't think that part ever gets easier.  But I know she's in my heart and I know she's watching over me.  I know that even though she wasn't personally at my wedding, she was there. 

So on this Halloween, I want to say this...Happy birthday, Grandma.  I love you and always will.

 
 

14 comments:

  1. Aww, Nain. Now I'm crying.
    This post is sad and so beautiful.
    My BFF's grandpa has just passed away, and she's so so miserable. She's just told me she's not coming to my wedding.
    And I understand.
    My uncle is old and has cancer. He's not coming to my wedding either.
    MJ's family lives in Argentina. They are broke. So they're not coming to our wedding.
    It's so sad.
    We're also going to remember all these people who can't be with us that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nain - beautiful post and a great memory! The memories are the best way to feel them close to us, and I'm so glad you can only remember the good ones - the best ones! Thinking of you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it's been 10 years, I remember that day. This is such a touching post, Alaina. She was definitely there at the wedding and is with you each and every day. Thinking of you, hun! HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am CRYING! This is my first visit to your blog, and what a beautiful post and tribute to your grandmother! Mine is still with me and one of the most important people in my life. what a sweet picture and memories you have of her...

    Hugs!
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can so relate to this post Nain. My Grandmother was everything to me. It is so hard to go on with all the exciting things that happen like marriage & especially having babies and not be able to share that with her. As sad as it is, the best part is that we had someone that awesome and important in our lives in the first place. Some people aren't that blessed. And like you said, our Grandmothers really are always with us, never to be forgotten.

    Happy Birthday to your Grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tribute.
    I lost both my grandmothers before I turned ten, so the memories get a little fuzzier by the year, but I still have a few good ones to hold onto.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful! Reading your story about your Grandmother brought a flood of memories of my own Grandmother. I always felt so safe with her. I'm sorry she couldn't physically be there on your wedding day, but I'm sure she was there in spirit, loving every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I an relate, and thanks for prompting some forgotten memories of my own. Beautiful post, thank you! I am following you now....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like sev of the other posters, I'm crying and flooded w/memories. My Grandpa was everything to me. And July was "his October" in that so many things were crammed in to it that I think of him each day. Our bdays were just a few days apart and sandwiched the 4th of July so that holiday is always bittersweet w/him gone. He passed away in 1989 while I was in college and I STILL think of him non stop. Love your post, lady! What a great tribute to a great woman!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cried reading this post. Happy Birthday to your wonderful Grandma! She will always be with you in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful thoughts about your Grandma. I miss mine too. She is always around though...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a beautiful post. It's great that you have such good memories of your grandmother. I didn't ever get a chance to meet my maternal grandma, she passed before I was even thought of being born. Continue to cherish those wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, October sure is packed.

    This post is beautifully written. It's always hard to lose someone you love. I can relate perfectly with how you're feeling. But, like you said, it is such a comfort to know that they are with us still, and they can still be there with us for all the big things that happen in life.

    My wedding was hard too, as I was also missing loved ones, but it was a great comfort to know that my mom and grandpa were still with me.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh friend, I can so relate to this. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful, sweet and sentimental tribute to your grandma. She sounds like she was an amazing woman, a real grandma personified!

    I lost my pappap when I was 16. Like your grandma, he was the glue which held MY family together. Unfortunately, none of us really bounced back and the family has been in shambles ever since. It's amazing - you think you know how important a person is while they're alive, but it's not until they're gone when you REALLY understand.

    Sending you love and hugs from Pittsburgh!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!