Friday, October 22, 2010

Then and now

 

This week's Spin Cycle, brought to you by Jen at Sprite's Keeper is on then and now.    I have to
 admit, I had a hard time thinking of a good then and now topic.   So much to choose from, so much to choose...so I decided to talk about a subject I once hated but love and actually claim as a hobby.  Cooking. 
I love to cook now.  I love to experiment in the kitchen and try new recipes.  How bad was I?  Oh, you are talking to the girl who, in her freshman year of college took three failed attempts at making Easy Mac before I got it right.  You're talking to that same girl who actually nuked a bag of popcorn for too long that I set the bag on fire.  (Note, this was all in the same dorm room in the same month)  Yes, I am the same girl who tried making Hamburger Helper, but the liquid didn't absorb so I had to drain out the sauce and just eat ground beef and noodles.  It was as disgusting as it sounds, yes.  I didn't like to waste food, what can I say?  I seem to recall an incident where I thought I was going to make skillet potatoes, but I didn't realize you needed to boil the potatoes before cooking them or else you couldn't chew them very well.  Or the homemade chicken noodle soup I tried to make with microwave ramen and canned chicken.  I could go on and on for days here, folks....
I'm not sure when it happened, but somewhere along the road I actually got the hang of it.  It took some time, it took some effort, and it took a hell of a lot of disgusting meals, but it happened.  Now I'm a regular Martha freaking Stewart.  Take the other day, for instance, I was working from home so I had time on my hands to make a decent meal at home.  I decided to make homemade applesauce in the crockpot, rosemary and lemon roasted chicken, and rice.  With a recipe?  No, I just did it myself, and it was awesome.  T's favorite meal is my baked spaghetti, a recipe that I've come up with completely myself and completely from scratch.  I get excited about getting a new recipe or cookbook.  I love all of the new kitchen gadgets we got from the wedding.  I find myself sharing recipes with my mother and not the other way around.  What the hell?  Who is this person I have become? 
It might only be a difference of ten years or so, but man, it is a change!  So that's cooking with Nain....then....and now.  Stop by Sprite's Keeper and check out some of the other then and now spins

 

13 comments:

  1. lmbo I was the same way. coming from a southern family it was like a big secret, don't let Angel cook for any meal, she can't cook. But now my mom is like Oh Angel has to do the broccoli casserole, let Angel make the roast chicken.. yep I understand totally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, oh the easy mac...memories, memories

    you can pass some of those recipes my way, though! they all sound delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post! it's nice to be able to cook, isn't it? i love to be in the kitchen and i am blessed to have a husband who is an awesome cook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny, I can so relate to this! Somewhere along the line things just clicked and I can now come up with some pretty decent meals even without a recipe! (Maybe it was the countless hours spent watching Food Network??) Whatever works!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a great way to start the morning off, lol! I can't believe you nuked popcorn. My mom taught me how to cook, but it's something I never wanted to do until after I had children. So you're definitely on a roll if you're already loving the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You MUST share the baked spaghetti recipe. It sounds great! I am the same as you. I used to hate cooking, now I love trying new things. Especially bread. I love to bake bread. You're linked!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nick claims I could barely boil water when we met--I could but making meals--mmm, not so much. I've come a long way.
    I'd be interested in the baked spaghetti recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're an inspiration for me! Last year, I tried making pierogies for Chooch and melted the spatula on top. I didn't even realize it until he almost ate it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It must come with age because I used to not be very good with the cooking things either. I really enjoy cooking now too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cooking is totally trial & error. I got the hang of it young watching my dad & stepdad who are each awesome- but baking? UGH! The number of pans just ruined, things that never set, etc- mind boggling. Yet I try it over & over. I made an Easter bread last spring and learned you do not need to double or triple yeast when doing so to the recipe-- My kitchen looked like I Love Lucy's bread episode! We've all been there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love cooking, too! I think the fact that you were willing to try new things and fail sometimes is probably what makes you such a good cook now. I have friends who are scared to cook, but I think, what's the worst that could happen? If you don't try, you'll never get good at cooking, and i love eating way too much to not try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You give me hope. I'm not quite as bad as you were, but I'm dangerously close :-P So, I'm hoping the same thing happens to me. I'm sure Michael is hoping the same thing too :-) LoL

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!