Friday, October 8, 2010

Guest post: Married Life, Ireland, and Guinness – Three of life’s greatest things!

I've let T have the reigns today.  Here's the man's perspective on the wedding and our amazing honeymoon....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At the request of several (not the least of whom is my beautiful, new wife) I have decided to write a guest post for everyone. Yes, the wedding and Ireland described from yours truly, T.

I decided to take the day before the wedding off from work because families were coming to town. Most of my extended family lives in the Boston area and my immediate family lives in the Detroit area. I ended up “working” from home on Thursday so as to help Nain with preparations and to have a day together before everyone arrived. We used that day to drop stuff off at the hotel, take care of rent, and get some time to pack for Ireland. We also visited our church’s Adoration Chapel that night, which was a really nice way to have some quiet time to reflect and pray, just the two of us. Friday came, and we were extremely busy. Nain and her sister, mom, and niece got their nails done and had some lunch. I went to downtown Indy to pick up my cousin, who rode the bus in from Chicago (he’s originally from Boston, but is currently in Chicago working on a Master’s Degree). Now, I had an address where to pick him up, but ended up driving around the block several times until I realized the bus drop off was just a regular bus stop in front of the City-County Building in Indy. I drove my cousin to the hotel and met most of the rest of my family. I’ll tell you, it was nice to see everyone, especially, since it is only about once a year at best that I see most of my extended family.

During the rehearsal dinner, I had decided that I wanted to toast Nain, since I was not going to be seeing her until she was walking down the aisle to me the next day. Of course, being a guy, I had nothing prepared and decided to wing it. Well, I can tell you this was the best thing I have ever done. I spoke from the heart. I started off with some comedy, but turned serious quickly. I remember telling everyone that Nain has made me a better person and that she taught me the most valuable lesson one could ever hope to learn. You see, Nain has taught me how to give myself completely to someone. I am a better person because of Nain and I wanted all of our families to know it. I was told the next day by Nain’s cousin that my speech was the only time she cried during the entire weekend. We parted ways for the night, and man, did I miss her. The next morning was not too stressful for me. I know Nain and the girls were at the hair dresser by 8AM. I strolled down to the hotel lobby (I stayed in my parents room that night so as not to see Nain) around 9:30AM to eat breakfast. By the time we arrived at the church, I was starting to get nervous. Not nervous about marrying Nain, there was never a question in my mind about that, but more nervous about tripping or saying the wrong thing. My brother was calming me down by tracking the score of the Michigan football game on his phone. We then started goofing around (like we have always done) until I realized that we were just down the stairs form where the guests were entering the church and that they probably could hear us.

It then happened; the moment I had waited my entire life for and had helped plan for over a year. Nain entered the church holding her father’s arm. This was the first time I had seen her in her dress. My breath was taken away. I will never ever ever forget that moment when I first locked eyes with Nain. She was more beautiful than I could ever have imagined. She was so pretty and I can tell you I felt like the luckiest person on the face of the Earth because I was about to marry my best friend and soul mate. When we were exchanging our vows, I was looking deeper into Nain’s eyes than I have ever looked before. What I saw was amazing. I saw pure and true love, I saw my future, I saw the best part of me, and I saw the one I loved more than anything. Exchanging our vows was hands down the most amazing thing I have ever done. I remember when we were waiting for the gifts to be brought up leaning over to Nain and whispering, “We are married now!” Later, her dad told me he saw that and thought it was the greatest thing ever. After the ceremony, we were waiting in the church hall for the guests to exit the church and get their bubbles. When we got back there, Nain’s niece who is 7 ran into my arms and shouted, “You are my real Uncle now!” It was one of those priceless moments that just can’t be planned. I could not be any more proud of the 2 nieces and 2 nephews to whom I am now an Uncle. The limo and reception were a blast! I have not had a more fun night than I did on my wedding night. I even smoked my first cigar, but that is a story for another post…

The next day we left for Dublin. I have to admit I was a bit nervous about flying so far. I usually love flying and tend to talk Nain’s ear off, much to her dismay. However, I was nervous about Customs. I never like feeling like a criminal as this person in uniform does a background search. But, I had to be the strong one to show Nain that everything was going to be alright. The travel did go off without a hitch (for the most part – Nain can tell you about the struggles we had with our final flight in another post), but we made it there safely. Ireland was amazing. I had never been, but what an incredible place! We had so much fun and a few pints of Guinness! It was like a homecoming, in a way, for me. My ancestors are from Ireland, and the feeling of knowing I was visiting the place where I came from was amazing. One particular aspect that stood out to me is the music. I have always loved Celtic music and to hear it live in the real pubs of Dublin was just unbelievable. What amazed me is that a lot of the songs are considered traditional and are handed down to tell the story of a generation. No one worried about playing other’s music and everyone in the pubs knew the songs. It was a far cry from what we have on the radio here in the States because the music seemed real. There are no voice machines and synthesizers, just instruments that have existed hundreds of years and stories that are told by song. As Nain has told you several times, the Guinness is better there. It just is. I have never tasted Guinness as good as in Dublin, and I think that is going to ruin it for me here because it will never taste the same here. Alas, I will make due. One of the things I am most proud of from our trip was visiting the Old Jameson Distillery. I “volunteered” to end the tour by tasting (along with 8 others) the differences between Irish, Scottish, and American Whiskeys. For this “work,” I now have a certificate to hang on the wall that states I am a Qualified Irish Whiskey Taster! I am as proud of that as I am of my Master’s in Engineering! ;-)All in all, it was an amazing trip and I could not have asked for better company to with which to spend it.

So, there you have it, T’s perspective on the wedding and honeymoon. September 18, 2010 is hands down the happiest, most blessed day of my life! I will always remember how happy I was that day. And I would say I will always remember how in love I was that day except that I love Nain more and more each and every day. I still get goose bumps remembering how I felt looking deep into her eyes that day. I am so blessed to have Nain in my life, and I still get excited saying she is now my wife. I love you, Nain; more than you could ever imagine!

10 comments:

  1. Great story telling, T! I am so glad Nain has someone who loves her so much. Congrats again, you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet! What a great thing to have in writing to read many years down the road!

    I wonder if I had my husband write about those moments now, 5 years later, he would be so moved... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you wrote this. It was a really sweet read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG this is awesome!! Thanks T for sharing your side of the story!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry I didn't comment yesterday... But it was crazy, and I came home at 9.30 pm... Sorry!
    Anyway... What I wanted to say is: I LOVE this post, T! It's always interesting and fun to read and know about these experiences from a man's point of view!
    I'm glad it was your happiest day in your life!! Thanks for sharing your side of the story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I think he's a keeper, Nain!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was so great to read T!! I am so excited for y'all as you begin this journey together!!

    I just gave you an award on my blog...come and get it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, T! Thanks for your side of the wedding and after!

    ReplyDelete
  9. T you did such a great job telling your side of the story! I especially enjoyed the part when you describe seeing Nain for the first time in her dress! It's so nice to hear about love from the guy's perspective. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, I love this post. Thanks for sharing T, and thanks for getting him to Nain ;-)

    I love it. You guys are so blessed to have each other!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!