Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A little close to home

I am proud to say that I am now 29,000 words (give or take a few) into my first manuscript. I’ve put off writing for years until this last year, about a few months ago, when I decided “what the hell?” So I did it. Is it good? I hope so. Is it ready to be published? Not by any means.

I am part of a group of several very talented women writers, and we rotate sending out parts of our manuscripts on a weekly basis. My first critique was while I was in Ireland, so of course, I was anxious to see what they all had to say.  When I did see their critiques, I could not have been more excited. See, I am a newbie to this whole writing thing. Sure, I write legal briefs and have written articles for newspapers and such, but creative writing? I’m still really new to this. In fact, I believe I’m the newbie of the group, which is okay by me so long as these ladies keep putting up with me.

I have alluded to this in previous posts, but my book is loosely based off of real life and things that have happened to me. They say you write what you know, and for years, I have been saying “man, I have enough material to write a whole series!” It’s been actually surprisingly therapeutic to write about some of these situations and circumstances that happened to me, but at the same time, it’s been quite difficult. Many of the stories I have been writing are things that I have not even spoken about to those who are the closest to me. This specific book is about a period of my life that was particularly hard, except in this book, I am writing about what I wish had happened, what I wish I had done. That doesn’t make it any easier, though.

Yesterday, as I was working on my manuscript, since I’m a state employee and lucky me, I got the day off, I started thinking about what others would think as they read my book. I mean, I’m not too scared about what complete strangers think of it, but what about people who know me in real life?

I have started off slowly with this. I have to admit, most of my family and friends don’t even know I’m writing a book. Hell, they don’t even know I have a blog. It isn’t I am not proud of it. I’m just afraid of what people will say if I let them in on these new developments in my world. And with my book, I’m a little scared of letting people see the side of me that I tried to hide for so long. I’ll admit, some of what I have opened up to in this book is dark, it isn’t pretty, but it’s me. However, I have a story to tell, and I’m going to keep up with it.

Thank you to my lovely critique girls for all of your helpful criticism. I appreciate it more than you should know!

6 comments:

  1. Keep going. And don't worry about what anyone has to say about your writing. Stranger or not. Be proud. :)

    C xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Nain!! Don't worry abotu what others think...it is so much easier to say than do and I work on that everyday! I bet it is therapeutic to write too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds so interesting! Can't wait to buy a copy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm so proud of you! I am very excited to read your story. You are very brave to write life experiences. I think that is wonderful :-)

    ps. I kept thinking today was monday, so I haven't gotten Small Treasure Tuesdays up yet... oops, I'll do that soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog off of CBG's blog and I have to say, I love it. I am also a writer and am working on a novel. It is great to read blogs from people that are going through the same things I am. I am going to add your button to my site, and if you would like to add mine, email me at amberlashell@gmail.com and I will be happy to send it to you.

    Check out my blog @ amberlashell.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited for you for getting so far along! I got to about 40,000 words, but then... I haven't looked at it in months. I really need to pick it back up! Care to send me some of your motivation?

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!