Friday, November 12, 2010

Dear Nain....

I think it was last week sometime when I noticed a trend on twitter.  People were participating in a theme of "What would you tweet your 16 year old self?"  It got me thinking.  Tweets are only a specific number of characters.  What I would have to say to my 16 year old self would be a great deal more than that, that's for sure. 
I know I haven't made it any secret that a lot has changed since I was 16.  I've been through a lot, and a lot of it hasn't been good.  So what would I tell my 16 year old self? 
I would say keep up with the studying and working hard.  Sure, you might think others think you're a nerd, but that hard work does pay off.  Trust me on that one.
You're parents aren't the enemy.  Yes, the curfew is a pain in the butt, and yes, the fact that they wouldn't let you date before the time you were sixteen doesn't seem fair.  But you're lucky.  Always remember that because there are a lot of kids out there who don't have parents who love you and care for you the way you have it.  You truly have been blessed.
Watch out for those parked cars, Nain.  And slow down a little when you're upset.  Look behind you.  Objects in the mirror may and probably do seem closer than they appear. 
Follow your heart.  You love to write, so do it.  Don't give up on your dream.  It might seem unreachable, but it's not.  Do what you love.
Don't wrap your life around one boy.  Don't make him you're only reason for living, and don't make him the only way you're happy.  Yes, it probably does feel like the love you feel for him you will never have for someone again, and yes, your heart does break...but you will love again.  In fact, there is someone out there who will change your world and will fill you with so much love you won't believe it's possible.  And he'll love you for you and won't want to change you, won't be mean to you, would ever dream of breaking your heart.  Just be patient. 
Be careful who you give your heart to.  There are a lot of smooth talkers out there who say the right thing, but listen to your gut.  It won't fail you.

Along that same lines...don't take him back.  You'll know what I mean when you get to that point. Enough said.  Listen to your friends.

Your family are your best friends, your biggest supporters.  Lean on them.  They'll be there for you no matter what. 
Don't worry about what people think about what you wear, the way you dress.  People won't remember you for what brand you wear.  They'll remember you for who you are and how you made them feel.

And lastly, be yourself.  People will love you for who you are. 

What would you tell your 16 year old self?

11 comments:

  1. I love this!!! You are a wise one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Don't wrap your life around one boy. Don't make him you're only reason for living, and don't make him the only way you're happy."

    Man, I wish I would have listened when everyone told me that same thing when I was 16. That guy I was so wrapped up in doesn't even come close to comparing to Henry.

    This was a great post, Nain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh. What a great idea. What would I tell my 16 year old self? Boys are overrated, study harder, foster friendships better, cultivate your faith in God. So many things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! But I agree with you, 140 characters aren't enough. If I had to choose one thing to tell my sixteen year old self, it would be It. is. not. the. end. of. the. world. Life. goes. on. It. gets. better. I guess that's 3 things, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Nellie, I would tell myself i was beautiful, and to lean more heavily on friends. I would tell myself to love more and give more. be a better friend. Like you, don't make your life about that one boy. He wasn't worth the heartache.

    Lastly, i would tell myself that modesty is a wonderful beautiful thing. And my body is a temple, protect it and treat it with respect.

    GREAT POST! :) Made me smile.

    Stopping by from BF! and joining your community!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great advice ~ Love your blog! Come visit and join my community or come to Share the Creative Journey at http://artmusedog.blogspot.com

    hugs and namaste, cz:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd probably tell myself, "You have no idea what's in store for you, and neither do I."

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is good advice! I think I'd tell myself a lot of the same things that you wrote down.

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I would say: recognize the freedom you have and ENJOY IT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that all those times you're standing in the hall at school, painfully aware that everyone thinks you're a dork-- YOU"RE WRONG. I've had more ppl reach out to me on FB that I was convinced hated me, ignored me, or were oblivious to me. They say things like, "you always were so nice/ so funny/ so good to everyone. I had two ppl say I was one of the few they never heard a bad thing about, only fun things. MAN the heartache and heartburn I couldhave saved myself knowing how ppl really felt. Teen insecurity can be horrid.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I could fit it all into a tweet! Great post...got me thinking...

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!