Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Small Treasure Tuesdays



 It's quickly approaching my favorite time of year....Christmas.  I love Christmas...the music, the decorating, buying presents for people I love, special traditions, Advent season at church, I love it all.  Last year, when T and I moved into the house we're renting, we started a new tradition we hope to keep going as we build our family.   We pick a day in November, preferably the one after Thanksgiving, we stay in just the two of us, put on some Christmas music, make some mulled wine and decorate.  We did it last year and had such fun we want to make a point of doing this together every year.

However, this year we are spending Thanksgiving with T's family up in Michigan, so that means we just need to do our decorating just a bit earlier, which is totally no problem at all.  We've decided next Saturday is the day.  I couldn't be more excited.  I love putting up our tree and hanging our stockings on the fireplace.  I love unpacking all of our decorations and seeing them, as if it were the first time in years.  So many of them have so many memories attached to them for both of us.  I have my advent wreath from my Grandma on my Dad's side and my advent calendar from my Grandma on my Mom's side that she handmade.  We each have ornaments that were given to us every year as kids, and we've started our own tradition of buying an ornament to represent where we are in life each year.  Last year was a "Just engaged" ornament, and this year we have two...a "First Christmas Together" and a Guinness ornament to represent our time in Ireland. 

I am so excited to be spending my first Christmas together with my amazing husband.  So here's to the holidays coming up and to traditions!  I'm linking this post up to Chantel's Small Treasure Tuesdays because Christmas and the holiday season is a huge blessing and treasure!


 

6 comments:

  1. WE have always gone to the mountains after Thanksgiving to cut our own Christmas tree. Except last year with a mobile baby, we went artificial. With Turbo out of town for Thanksgiving, we are not sure whether we will go get one or not. Traditions are great around the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if we'll be decorating this year only because we will be spending Christmas away from home. Hm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1st off, why in the world would I say no to some great blog pimping, i am so excited to have you link back to my blog!

    Okay not to this post. I really love christmas, and I am one of those people that love to give people presents. I just love to make people happy. Sadly we are going to El Paso to my fiance's families house this year, so we decided not to decorate. Makes me a bit sad, but i think once christmas is over and i don't have to do any cleaning and packing up, i might just be super happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear.. I thought today was Monday! Oops. Thanks for writing this! You can link up now :-P

    I'm so excited for Thanksgiving and Christmas!! I love this time of year! SO MUCH!

    I think I'll take your idea of setting a whole day aside to relax and decorate to Christmas music :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for spending Thanksgiving in Michigan! (I'll be there with Kurt's family). It sure does make decorating for the holidays a little tricky, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love asking people about unique ornaments and hear their story behind it. That is one of my favorite things about Christmas.

    Found you on Tueaday's Treasures.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!