Friday, November 5, 2010

Spin Cycle - Halloween review

It's another Halloween special this week at the Spin Cycle with Sprite's Keeper. I don't have any kiddos, and T and I didn't go to any Halloween parties, so all I have to give you is my rundown on the day. This is "Nain's view" of Halloween, if you will...opinions and all (because who would I be if I didn't have an opinion on something?)

We headed up to my parent's house to go trick or treating with my niece, Roo, and to also remember my Grandma, as this was her birthday. It was nice...we had a nice dinner with my family and a birthday cake in her honor. And, of course, we hit the trick or treating. These are some things I observed along the way...

Fewer houses participate in the tradition. Seriously, when I was a kid in my parent's neighborhood it was practically every house that had its lights on and was handing out candy. This year? Not so much. There was one street we hit where out of ten or twelve houses only three were handing out candy.

And the signal to show people you are handing out candy? You know, the leaving your porch light on thing? Do people still know it's proper to do this? Because there were several houses we hit where people had lights on but no one was home or they weren't handing out candy. Weird...and it also made me feel like we were stalkers or something.

AND, the kids...man, is it just me or are kids trick or treating at a later age this year? We passed this one couple who looked like they were in high school or something, holding hands while going down the sidewalk towards a house, and I swear the guy had the startings of a moustache. If those kids came to my house, I'd be handing them out condoms to "be safe" kids and not candy. Yes, crude, but true, especially when you see the things I see in court on a daily basis.

The costumes that seemed to be really popular in my parent's neighborhood were super heroes (spiderman, specifically), Mario, and well, yeah...that was about it. We did see these two preteen girls who were dressed up like the St. Paulie's girl beermaids...and did I mention they looked to be about 13?  Nice.  My niece was cute as ever as Hello Kitty, which I find to be a pretty creative costume.  But a lot of the costumes out there seemed to be lacking in creativity. We did see this adorable little girl who was a thing of bubbles...she had clear balloons all around her, and she was a soap dish. (Too cute, right?) I think she won the prize of most creative costume for the evening in my book.

There was a noticeable decrease in the amount of junior mints available for my niece to pick out for her Aunt Nainy. I was slightly disappointed, I must admit.  Don't people know of their minty goodness?

It was great getting to spend the time with my family, and as always, we had a wonderful time. So check out Sprite's Keeper to see what other tricks or treats people had out there! (Hey, they might not be as cynical as me...)

Happy Friday, everyone!

 

15 comments:

  1. Jr mints? nummy! I love mints. Oeppermint patties used to always be a favorite for me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. The participants are fewer and fewer than ever. We don't even buy candy since the homes in my neighborhood are spread out wide and no kids of trick or treating age even live on my block other than Sprite. So we go out or go all the way out to Disney to spend some time. :-)
    You're linked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In our town everyone hits certain parts of town. There they know lights=give outs. I saw several imaginative costumes--Marios, spidermans, ninjas, but very few if any other vikings. Good to be unique. We did see one family using a Gator(family sized four-wheeler) to transport the kiddos down the street. I was mean and made Turbo walk for his goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, the condom thing is hilarious! Unfortunately, moms and dads would be beating down your door for promoting sex instead of supporting you for preventing teen pregnancy, lol! I also noticed that families weren't participating in the numbers they used to when I was a kid. It's very disappointing.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, I mean LG, got no Jr Mints. That's just not right.

    My kids were not super heroes. We should have come to visit you. We saw a lot of them, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Junior Mints are on my fav candies too! I agree with kids that are too old being out...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's like that around here, too. For every house that has candy, there five more that don't.

    Henry and I both take Chooch trick-or-treating, and it stinks that no one is at our house to pass out candy, but at the same time we've tried to leave a bowl on the porch and it always gets stolen. Literally, someone takes the whole bowl.

    Prevalent costumes in our neighborhood: Jason Voorhees, the killer from Scream, slutty pirates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. I totally still trick-or-treated when I was in high school, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw no fewer than 10 Ironman costumes in my neighborhood. But the most creative were two little tiny girls dressed up as cheeseburgers. Very cute!

    I don't think my daughter got a single junior mint this year! But I did manage to steal quite a few Reese's Peanut Butter Cups so it was all good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I missed Halloween because I got stuck in traffic behind a fatal car crash :-( R.I.P.
    My dear boyfriend passed out the candy by himself and he reported that he went through 300 candies in about 2 hours. Passed out one at a time!! I was surprised because in my old neighborhood there were hardly any kids. I loved this because it shows the vibrancy of my neighborhood in one of the nation's hotspots for foreclosures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like fun! I agree with you on the older kids point...we had a few 6 foot + trick or treaters with very deep voices & covered faces...kinda scary, really. Made me wonder if I should dump the whole bowl in the sack!

    The condom idea - too funny, but...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think the girls got any junior mints at all...lots of chocolate this year. I guess I can't complain about that too much but I prefer the banana laffy taffy!

    The participation in Halloween for the people handing out the candy gets less and less every year. So sad. I wish my kids could experience it how it was when we were kids!! I'd say at least 70% of the houses in our neighborhood didn't participate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Halloween is the best! Why are people not participating? That's unfortunate. And I completely agree- it is not nice to leave the front porch light on if you aren't handing out candy. I thought that was the universal sign?

    I saw so many young girls dressed in very trampy costumes. That makes me sad too.

    I miss the good old days, where you made a costume and had to be creative instead of just go to the store and go off of someone elses creativity :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Junior Mints, too! :) Sadly, Princess Nagger didn't get any for me to snag...

    It is a lot different than it used to be, isn't it? You have to walk forever along dark streets hoping to see a porch light on for some goodies...and those that have it on but not home nor handing out candy? Such a disappointment!

    Glad you had an enjoyable evening - very cool you remember your grandmother's birthday each year.

    SC: Halloween Fun

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hear ya on the age and type of Trick or treaters...I thought the same thing about passing out condoms. I actually had a 8-ish year old girl come to the door dressed like Snooki...seriously, who lets their 8yo dress like that!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!