Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Rules, rules, rules....

small cycle
 
I haven't done a Spin Cycle in awhile...sadly, it's mostly because I'm a huge slacker (Sorry, Sprite's Keeper!)  But I'm going to try my best, so I'm back, and let's see what I can crank out.  I'm not going to lie...I've been staring at this blank screen for awhile.  But I'm taking a jump off the high dive here, so let's get started..
 
 
This week's spin is on rules.  We have rules everywhere.  I like to consider myself to be a bit of a rule breaker.  (Ha, who are we kidding?)  I don't necessarily break the rules unless it involves sneaking in candy and soft drinks into a movie theater (shhh!  don't tell!)  Or maybe speeding or passing in the right lane.  But no, I try to follow the rules as best I can.  It was what I was taught to do.  It's what we were all taught to do.  Stay in line.  Raise your hand to ask a question.  Use your inside voice.  Don't try to microwave your sister's baby doll.  (Doh, I didn't follow that rule either...)  For the most part, I was a pretty good kid.  I followed the rules.  Heck, you had to when your mom was a teacher at your school.  Word gets around, and getting in trouble at home and at school?  Not cool.  So I followed the rules, unless someone wasn't looking, of course.
 
 
Now that I'm an attorney, I have a whole other set of rules to follow.  They teach classes on how to follow the rules...they just don't call it "civil procedure" but they should just title the class "rules" or "boring and confusing rules."  You can say this in court but not that.  If you want to say that, you better lay the foundation in order to for the other side to not object to you bringing that forth in court.  Always end every sentence when addressing the Judge with "your honor" or "judge."  You have 30 days to file an answer, 30 days to answer discovery, 30 days to file an appeal.   Don't ask a leading question.  Or ask a leading question if you are cross-examining someone.  Don't badger the witness.  Don't curse in court.  I can go on and on and the rules would likely bore you, too.  But these rules?  They can't be broken.  Unless you want to get raked over the coals by a judge or opposing counsel. 
 
 
I feel like I'm rambling here, so let's wrap this puppy up.  The point I'm trying to make is that we all have rules that make up a part of our daily life.  Sure they can be simple rules like "Nain, put your shoes away" or "T, don't forget to brush your teeth."  Or important rules like "don't drive down the wrong side of the road" that get us to work safely.  Sure, I will continue to break the rules I selectively trample all over.  That's part of the fun of life.  And the rule of "each blog post should have a point or at least a beginning, middle and end?"  Yeah, I just broke that, too. 
 
 
Sorry for my confusing and random post - I promise to try to follow the rules tomorrow.  (Key word is try.)  Until then...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. You still followed the rules, so there! In confidence, I sneak snacks into the movies too. (We try not to eat the processed crap and I need SOMETHING to eat while watching Johnny Depp!)
    You're linked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been so long since I was at the movies, but when we did go I almost always sneaked food in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who says that a blog must have a point. I sometimes find it interesting that many rules have been made because someone did something stupid and someone else figured that a rule needs to be made because we don't want that to happen again. There are way too many "Common Sense" rules that if you used common sense you wouldn't have to have the rule…

    Oh, don't get me started.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!