Friday, September 23, 2011

Still here!

No worries!  I am still alive and kicking.  Sorry for my lack of posts...work has been extra crazy these past few days, so actually getting to a computer to write something has been impossible. My agency is affiliated with the United Way, so on Wednesday we had several awesome volunteers come to do work around the office for the "Day of Caring," and I also ran a bake sale fundraiser in the afternoon, too.  Yesterday, I was at an all day conference regarding domestic violence and was sans computer for the day.  But I am back, and I hope to make it up to you with an actual post.  And a spin cycle post, nonetheless!
 
 
So this week's Spin Cycle is on morals.  Important things to have, in my opinion.  I was fortunate enough to have two parents who raised me to have my own set of personal morals and were pretty strict in ensuring we followed them.  Always say thank you and please.  I grew up in Alabama and lived there until I was 10 or so, so you always followed that with a "sir" or a "ma'am" when talking with an adult or superior.  (I got looks when I did this in school up in Indiana, but it was how you were taught.)  No talking in church.  No chewing gum in church or when you're talking to someone important.  Don't go to bed angry.  Don't hold grudges.  Always tell the truth because a lie will catch up to you sooner or later.  Be respectful.  Treat others as you would want yourself to be treated. 
 
 
I like to think I did a pretty decent job of sticking to those morals.  Sure, I flubbed up every now and then.  I've lied.  I've talked in church.  I've held grudges.  No one is perfect.  But I do feel like my parents did a good job in instilling a moral code in me. 
 
 
Now that I'm becoming a parent in just a few months, I have to admit...part of me is starting to panic a little bit.  When I was growing up, I did as my parents told me.  Because I always thought they just knew everything.  (Sometimes I still do that.)  I thought maybe they went to "parent school" or something to teach them how to raise a child.  Because it seemed to come so naturally.  Me?  I have no clue how I'm going to be a parent.  Will my own child feel the same way I do about my parents and how they raised me?  Here is this young life that T and I will be molding.  We will raise them to become adults someday, and hopefully respectable members of society.  But...how exactly do you go about doing that?  Where do you start?  Is there a book I can read on raising good children?  You know, the kind that don't talk back?  Who listen to you when you're talking?  Don't misbehave?  Is there a "how to" manual on that?  It freaks me out to think that in just a few months, I will be in charge of another human being.  And as that baby gets older, they start to learn how to act and behave from me and T and what we do.  Am I ready for this?  (Though, even if I said no...I think that ship has sailed.)
 

Damn, I wish I had taken notes as a kid so I can remember all the things my parents taught me. 


This has been Nain's take on morals...to read what other people have to say, stop by Sprite's Keeper and check out the other spins!  And everyone, have a great weekend!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AND, if part of that weekend involves shopping - check out my awesome Mary Kay sale going on this Saturday only!!! 
 

3 comments:

  1. We've all been there. The hospital hands you the baby and shows you the door.
    The first year isn't really about morals and rules anyway. It's just survival. Keep the baby alive. After that, when they start talking, and talking back, it will come to you. Maybe you will have the perfect child who is mild mannered, doesn't talk back, doesn't get into trouble, always minds their p's and q's, but where's the fun in that? Hell, I wouldn't have a blog if Sprite was a perfect kid. :-)
    You're linked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps- Alaina, this reminded me of something I wrote over 2 years ago. Let me know if this is what you're referring to.. :-)
    http://www.spriteskeeper.com/my_weblog/2009/05/and-never-the-two-shall-meet.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you will do fine. You had a great example. I mean you turned out fine, right? All you can do is your best and remember it's not always YOUR fault! LOL Congrats btw....

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!