Thursday, September 29, 2011

Tradition!

This week's Spin Cycle with Sprite's Keeper is on Traditions.  I know I've written before on this topic, but...it's a good one, so I'm going to do it again.  Just 'cuz...


So traditions.  What do I think of when I hear the word tradition?  Well, honestly?  I think of Fiddler on the Roof.  Yep.  I'm weird like that.  See, when I was in high school, I play in the pit orchestra for this musical.  It meant practice every night for three weeks straight, hearing the same songs over and over and over again.  I started singing the songs in my sleep.  And this one was my favorite, and I never could figure out why.  The gist of the song is about the traditions we all have based on who we are, where we come from.  Some of these traditions we don't know where they began or how they began.  But that doesn't matter.  Why?  Because....well...they're tradition!  (And here I go singing this song in my head again...)  But really, aren't so many of our traditions just traditions because they've always been that way?  Sometimes they don't even need a reason or explanation.  It's just tradition. 


Like why do I always buy myself comfy pajamas whenever something bad happens in my life? 


Or why my family always has a big mid-day meal on Sundays? 


Or why every time we go to church and I do the sign of the cross with holy water, I put a dab of holy water over my stomach where the baby is...


Honestly, I'm coming up short on traditions here, but you get the point.  When T and I got together, we each combined our own traditions that we developed from our families.  I'm sure at times T would think "why in the hell do they do that?"  I know I did when we would go up to his family's house initially.  Of course, now those traditions are becoming more and more familiar, and now, I've grown to even like some of them.  (I sure hope T feels the same way about my family's traditions...ha)


And the exciting part?  Now we get to create traditions of our own, with our new family, in our new house.  We get to establish our own, in addition the ones we already bring to the table.  So some day our kids can say when someone asks them why they do a certain thing, "why do I do this?  Well, it's tradition, of course!"


This post has been brought to you courtesy of Sprite's Keeper's Spin Cycle...stop by and check out the other spins people have to share!



 

1 comment:

  1. The first thing I thought of was Fiddler on the Roof as well. Maybe it's my Jewish half coming out :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!