Friday, October 14, 2011

Firsts

small cycle
 
 

It's all about "firsts" this week in the Spin Cycle with Sprite's Keeper.  Oh the possibilities...too many firsts I could think of.  It's just too hard to narrow them down.  So I'm going to do this in a list format.  Random "firsts" for Nain with a little commentary included...enjoy!

First official job - ice cream scooper at Baskin Robbins...I got paid minimum wage, which was like $4.25/hour, but it did have it's nice perks.  One of those was you got free samples.  And I got to make the waffle cones which was awesome.  Whenever one would "accidentally" break, it was fair game for eating! 
However, I did NOT enjoy running the drive-thru window when I was given that task. 


First car -  1992 Dodge Shadow convertible.  Sure the car "sounds" cool but believe me...it was a piece...of something.  No air conditioning, crappy radio, windows wouldn't roll up on their own, the car would leak when it rained, dashboard lights would randomly go out and would only go on after pounding the dashboard with your first.  You could also take the key out of the ignition while the car was driving, and it would continue to drive.  It was a crap car.  But it was my first car, so therefore...in my 16 year old eyes, it was totally awesome. 

First music (first tape cassette):  When I was a kid, my parents bought me a "My First Sony" tape player for Christmas (well, Santa did actually), and I got a tape with it.  See, my dad would buy me music that I honestly had never heard of or didn't really like, but..my first tape was "Katrina and the Waves."  And not even the "Walking on Sunshine" tape.  Nope, I couldn't even tell you what songs were on this tape.  I listened to it, because it was all I had, but as soon as they heard a few of the songs on it, it was quickly replaced by New Kids on the Block.  My first CD my dad bought me was also an Indigo Girls CD.  Never had heard of them or their music...never liked the CD.  Like I said, he bought me some random stuff...


First crush - His name was Michael, and he was in my 1st grade class when I lived in Alabama.  He had this huge crush on me and used to chase me around the playground at recess.  I seem to recall him writing "I love you" on one of the class mini chalkboards we used.  We quickly became BFFs from 1st through 4th grade when I had to move to Indiana.  It was tragic saying good bye.  But I guess he was technically my first crush/boyfriend. 


First kiss - This was in high school...at a school dance with my first boyfriend (first serious one, that is), who happened to be my first love, first break-up (awful awful break-up), first time realizing that not everyone out there is good and has your best interests at heart...all of those really good firsts that every girl goes through.  (Man, I dread the day I have to watch my own little girl go through this...the boy who breaks her heart better look out...momma isn't going to be nice!) 


First blind date - in college with some guy named Duane that my sister-in-law set me up with.  He was weird.  It didn't go past one date.  Definitely wasn't a keeper. 


First REAL love - T.  And I'm not just saying that because he's my husband.  No, honestly, he was and is my first only real love.  It took me so many years to get to that point where I know what real respect and real love in a relationship looks like.  Sure, I was an adult at that point and it took many many hard lessons to get there, but it was well worth it.


First husband....T.  (ha, and he'll be the only one...no worries!) 


First (and only) trip overseas - Ireland, on our honeymoon September 2010.  And it was INCREDIBLE! 


First child - on the way!


First time I truly realized I was going to be a momma...the second ultrasound we had around my 12 week appointment.  We had one at 8 weeks, but I wouldn't let myself truly think that "yes, this will be my baby" because I was scared to death we'd lose her.  So that second time we heard that heart beat, that was the very first time I realized how much our lives were about to be changed in a way that neither of us could imagine.


So those are my firsts!  Hope you enjoyed them and don't judge me for some of those there...if you want to check out what other spinners have to share this week, stop by Sprite's Keeper's blog!


 

5 comments:

  1. Awesome list of firsts! What is it with awful first cars? Mine was no prize, but as it got me from A to B, it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I do remember the first time I saw Sprite when they delivered her. I looked up at that scrunched up face and thought "she looks like every other baby out there." It was such a moment of disconnect counteracted with my command to John, "don't leave her side for a second" when they whisked her off to do the routine things while the doctors sewed me up. I remember that so clearly.
    Can't wait for you to meet your little one!
    You're linked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing... I'm not even sure I could remember all those firsts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great spin on firsts. I think making waffle cones would have been awesome too and I probably would have "accidently" broken a few!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your list of firsts and how it builds up to such a great finish.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!