Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Oh, the mood swings

I am going to be 100 percent honest with you, folks.  I've always been a bit of an....err...how do I say this?  An emotional person?  Yes, that's how you say it.  I've been known to be moody once or twice in my past.  I think most women can say that with certainty, but I'll admit, that I have a special skill in this department.  I may or may not have been known to overreact in my past.  To dwell on things when I shouldn't.  This is one of the reasons why having a girl scares the crap out of me.  I remember how moody I was as a teenager.  Is karma going to come bite me in the butt with this?  Will my daughter be a reincarnation of her mother?  Will I pay for what I did to my parents? (Okay, I'm sure I wasn't that bad, but for purposes of a point here, I am being a little dramatic...)
 
 
So yes, I'm moody.  I'll admit that.  So that being said, this whole pregnancy mood swing thing is seriously messing with me. 
 
 
Sure, when we first got pregnant and someone warned me about the mood swings, I thought "it couldn't be that awful, right?"  Ha, oh how wrong you were, Nain.  Because lately, I have no control whatsoever with my feelings and how I react to stuff.  And it is driving me absolutely insane, guys. 
 
 
I can go from happy to sad to aggravated in less than sixty seconds.  In ways I never dreamed possible.  It doesn't help that on top of all of the hormones, I have other stressors.  The constant worry about my family and my Grandpa are always there.  I can be sitting there, enjoying a perfectly good dinner with T, and bam, sadness.  An overwhelming feeling of just sadness.  Or T and I could be having a conversation, say, about our registry, and he'll say something that makes me start thinking...and thinking...until I'm in tears about it thinking that "oh God, no one in our family is going to buy the stuff we registered for, and we're going to have to find the money for it all ourselves, and it's just awful."  Rational?  No.  Did it happen.  Yes...(sorry, T!)
 
 
I don't want you guys to think I'm going off the deep end here, and yes, I do have someone to talk to about all of this.  But I needed to vent.  Because I'm not a big fan of this irrational form of myself.  I'd like the regular Nain to come back please!  And soon, too!
 
 
I'm not the only one out there like this...right?
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh Doll, no you are not the only one. I have met pregnant women who tell me they don't have mood swings, but I have to be honest here and say I don't believe them. If I have time to sit and observe them for 15 minutes I can see the mood swings, I can also see that they are never going to admit to them. Ha!

    I think it is healthy, mentally, to admit that you are moody. Recognize it, embrace it, it is part of pregnancy. Your hormones are changing at a faster pace than they did when you went through puberty. Not to bring you down but it is not uncommon for this to be worse after the baby is born. While it took 9 months to raise and change those hormones, they begin to change even faster for the first few weeks/months after she gets here. I wish someone had told me this because after Lydia was born I did think I was going nuts.

    One thing my mom told me was, if you feel overwhelmed, call someone. If the baby is getting on your nerves, put her in bed, make sure she is safe and dry, then take a shower. If she is still crying on that last nerve, call someone to come over and help you. Never, ever be embarrassed to ask for help.

    Finally (more words of wisdom from my mama), you cannot spoil your sweetie by holding her too much. There is no such thing as too much snuggling and loving on her. It is amazing how even if she is pitching a fit (and they do), holding her can calm her and you. Sometimes she'll still pitch that fit, but your being there will have a very positive affect on her.

    Hold on tight Mama, you're in for the greatest adventure of your life. Love and appreciate every stage, even now, because they go by so fast and you can't go back to them.

    I'm praying for you. You have a lot on your plate, things that wouldn't be easy if you weren't pregnant. Pregnancy magnifies all of those emotions. So I am praying for an extra measure of grace and peace.



    P.S. Sorry for the blog length comment. =/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not alone! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!