Saturday, November 23, 2013

Thankful for "alone time"

T and I are breaking out of the house this weekend with a well-deserved date night.  If you recall, a month ago we went to this marriage event at our church and won a $50 gift card to Olive Garden.  Well, we're cashing in that weekend....sure, Olive Garden isn't glamorous, but it'll be nice to just get out, just the two of us.   So for that reason, I am thankful for some alone time with my husband.

We're still learning this balancing act of being relatively new parents and still relatively newly-weds.  I mean, we've only been married for three years.  Compared to a lot of couples, that really isn't a long time.  I hate to say that being new parents has taken a toll on our coupledom.  Life has become a routine of work, long commute home, dinner for Aubrey, her bath and bedtime, dinner for us and then maybe two hours of watching TV while both of us are working on our computers.  It's sad, really.  I mean, what happened?  Well, no, I know what happened.  This little cute thing happened:


And while our lack of romance or excitement isn't her fault by any means, I do have to admit that taking care of her does take a great deal of our attention and energy. I was telling T the other day that being a parent is the most rewarding but most difficult job I have ever had.  It really is.  However....before Aubrey came us.  And we try our best to not lose sight of that.

I am totally jealous of some couples who seem to have it so together.  Seriously.  The couple who runs the marriage retreat is absolutely perfect or at least on the surface.  I think "why can't we be like that?"  But then again, that doesn't mean we can be exactly like them because we're us.  We're not them.  But still, there's always room for improvement.  And that times some time and work on both of our parts.  

So we're doing just that this weekend.  It'll be nice to have a meal where we don't hear Aubrey talking in her crib in the background or where we're not eating with her listening to Elmo's world.  We're blessed to have this opportunity.  I couldn't think of a better person to spend my time with.  

Hope everyone has a lovely Saturday!  Enjoy that weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I was going to ask to go along since I love Olive Garden, but if you wanna be that way about it...;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!