Thursday, December 16, 2010

All I want for Christmas

On Saturday, as we were standing in line with Roo to go see Santa, I asked her what she was going to tell Santa she wanted for Christmas.  She gave me a grin and said "pizza!"  (Ironic, considering pizza was exactly what we had for dinner and she didn't eat, but...I digress)  So I leaned down and said "can you ask a few things for Nainy?  Tell Santa that Nainy wants her student loans paid off.  Oh and a better paying, less stressful job, ok?"  She looked at me like I was crazy, and honestly, I was only trying to get a smile out of her, but...part of me was serious.  What would Santa say in response to that? 


Honestly, I don't have any big ticket items I want for Christmas.  To me, as I get older, it isn't so much about the presents but rather the experience.  I love to be around my family and loved ones.  I love going to Christmas Eve mass every year and celebrating the reason for the season.  I love the Christmas parties, the music, the food...all of it.  Opening presents on Christmas morning?  It's nice that my parents still buy us presents, for sure, but it's hardly necessary. 

Really, all I want for Christmas this year is to be surrounded by the ones I love, to have everyone be happy and healthy and just take a step back and enjoy the momentary break from all of the craziness of day-to-day life.  This past month has been crazy, and it'll be nice to have a few days to just relax and enjoy the holidays. 


I want to sit back and truly take in this first Christmas I have with my husband.  It is our first Christmas together as a married couple, after all, the first of many.  And we're so blessed to spend it with both of our families.  We'll be spending Christmas Eve and Christmas with my family and then the days after Christmas with T's family, as they'll be coming down to be with us at our house.  This weekend we'll even get to spend it with my Grandpa.  I am extremely blessed to still have him in my life and to spend a holiday with him.


Sure, I appreciate the gifts my parents give me, but even if there were no gifts under the tree, it wouldn't matter.  I already have my "gifts."


.....Though it would be super cool if Santa could somehow manage to pay off my Sallie Mae loan....


 

8 comments:

  1. Amen. Loved this post.
    My gifts are my family and their happiness. Being together and enjoy this holiday with them.
    Although having a better job and our mortgage paid would be great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. I love spending time with my family over the holidays. The memories are what get me through - not the gifts. We're heading to Raleigh this weekend to see all my uncles and aunts, and I can't wait! Have fun with your grandpa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous post Nain! It is not about gifts to me but giving to tohers like my nephews and spending time with the fam! Yay for our 1st married Christmases!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the experience of christmas too, in fact, we have decided to just buy for the kids this year and not for each other... It's great that you will get to see all of your family!

    amberlashell.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't have said it better myself friend! I'm just not big on the gifts at Christmas. But the time and love? I can totally get behind that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So totally agree with you here. Especially the part about student loans!

    CBG
    canadianbloggergirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. My thoughts exactly! I don't have any desire for a big ticket item, sadly can't say the same about hubby, lol! I just want to be with my family and think about the true meaning of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not me, I'm all about the gifts... totally kidding! My sweet husband worries about what to get me, but I keep reminding him that he's already given me his love, and what better gift is there? My favorite part is spending time with loved ones. I love this time of year!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!