Friday, December 10, 2010

Guest post Friday - A little wicked sweet tea

I have a special Friday treat for all of my lovely readers out there!  One of my dearest blog friends, Brynn (a.k.a. Bink from Wicked Sweet Tea) is taking over the View From Down Here for a day.  I absolutely love Brynn...she's one of my favorite bloggers out there. I love her sense of humor, her dedication to her working and driving her boyfriend crazy, her love of the law AND her love of Guinness.  Plus, she's a southern girl, just like me (well, back when I grew up in Bama...)  So without further ado...here's Brynn!

I'm guest posting on her blog, too, so be sure to stop by and say hi!  Happy weekend everyone!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi, y'all! I'm Bink from Wicked Sweet Tea. I'm a sweet southern girl (hence the 'sweet tea', otherwise known as the house wine of Georgia) madly in love with a yankee from New England (hence the 'wicked')! Nain is one of the very first blogs I started following and I love.adore.worship her! How could I not? When she had the genius idea of swapping blogs for a day, I was thrilled! & then immediately terrified.



Nain is a fabulously talented writer. & me? Other than a few, RARE posts, my writing is very random and consists of me doing weird things to torture the love of my life.



For instance, a conversation last night:



MB: Oh, we should watch the hockey game. There's a commercial they will play that you need to see.

me: I don't think that's a good idea. I've got a headache and I think I have a fever.



::MB moves to place his hand on my forehead to check::



me: No! ::moves his hand to my stomach:: I have baby fever.



Oh, and my writing has tangents as you can see. Really, I'm doing Nain a huge disservice by guest blogging.


So, this is the first Christmas that MB and I will actually spend together. We will be in New England with his family and his two precious tween daughters. With this development, I've decided to change my approach with the holidays.


I'm wanting to simplify and not get wrapped up/roped into a million different side projects and obligations that will detract from the joy of the season. I'm wanting to focus on setting traditions in our relationship and with his family. I'm wanting to stay centered on my priorities of the season.


Which is not easily done because 1) my childhood fantasy was to be Mrs. Claus 2) I always overdo and 3) I can't say no.


& most importantly, because my workplace is apparently quite festive. (This is my first holiday season that I am working here.)


I've realized that everyone decorates their offices, and starting this year, there will be a holiday tour of decorated office spaces today. While I certainly appreciate the festivity and such, I'm realizing that this maybe isn't such a great thing.


You know how everyone in your office has different personalities? Yeah, take those personalities and add some tinsel and garland to it. It can turn into a hot mess pretty darn quickly. The majority of the decorations are great. I love the wreaths, trees and such. It warms my heart and fills me with joy.



But, there is one office that unfortunately has driven me to therapy and for my therapist to pray for me to have patience with it.


My office is conveniently located off the front lobby which is decked out with a huge tree (with colored lights) red poinsettias, wreaths, two smaller white-lighted trees and some decorations the receptionist put on her desk. So, there's a lot of stuff. The office right across from me is decked out with a whole bunch of even more stuff. (I should probably note that the person who decorated the front lobby resides in that office.)



There's a decal, gold wreath, bells, garland, two rosemary trees, red poinsettias, large ornament and two snowmen. Oh, and a random package of cookies in a tree shaped plastic thingy. Behold the glory:





But what is absolutely driving me to drink is the green and blue glitter poinsettias. I mean, really. I have to believe that sweet Baby Jesus would even cover his eyes with his swaddling to avoid looking at the horror of blue and green poinsettias. With glitter.




Y'all, I really love the thought behind wanting to decorate but when you combine this with all the stuff in the lobby, it's bordering gaudy. Actually, we've gone past gaudy straight to atrocious.



& to cap it off, I'm getting flack for not having decorated my office as of Wednesday. My decorating tastes run traditional and I like to think, casually elegant.



As someone so colorfully mentioned, putting up my decorations would be like building a mansion across from a trailer park.


I am doing some little decorations in my office. I figure I should do that as I'll be spending as much time in my office over the next week to avoid looking at the blue and green poinsettias.


In addition to those festivities, we also have two parties and a luncheon, a cookie festival competition, tacky sweater day and some other smaller activities.


The sad part of all this is that I'm actually on the Christmas Committee so I had an input in all of this. & being on the committee, I'm partaking in all of these activities.


My visions of a simple Christmas have been taken over, similar to Cousin Eddie and the Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

 
Special thanks to Nain for letting me have the honor of guest posting! I ::big heart:: you!






2 comments:

  1. That door is too much! Yikes!! Maybe you should get some pink flamingos and put Christmas lights all over them, it would fit right in, with the added bonus of them stopping harassing you about decorating in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, just the picture hurts my eyes, much less seeing it in real life... great post, you have just gotten a new follower :) Now i'm off to read nain's guest post!

    check out my blog @ amberlashell.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!