Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Show me, don't tell me

I'm a big advocate of action instead of words.  In past relationships I have often said "show me, don't tell me.  (Normally, it would be in response to an "I'm sorry" after said boyfriend did something  particularly shitty.)  So yes, actions do speak louder than words in my mind.  Always have.
The funny thing is...when I'm writing my manuscript I struggle with doing just that.  I'm all talk and no action, so to speak.  Sure, I'm good at describing what my character is feeling and doing the inner dialogue thing, but actually showing the action in the story?  Not so much. 
I am so appreciative of my critique group and the help they have given me.  Over the holiday, I was able to rework a great deal in my first few chapters and to also add a few more chapters to give a bit more background into my character.  I have to admit, though, it was tough.  I hardly ever edit things I write (bad, bad, I know), and looking at something I wrote in a different angle and readjusting  it?  Tough.  But well worth it, and I look forward to seeing what my favorite ladies have to say....
I do have to admit that a huge part of me is wondering if I'm doing enough to change it.  How will an agent or editor see it?  And, as I've stated before, a lot of my book is autobiographical, so getting criticism on your own story?  Tough, too. 
Perhaps I am being too tough on myself.  This is only first attempt at writing a novel, and this is only my first draft.  It wouldn't be the first time I was hard on myself (just ask pretty much anyone who knows me in real life...)  I just need to keep plugging away and follow my heart.  The important thing is that I love to write, and I just need to remember that when I get frustrated. 
Show me, don't tell me.  Or, in the epic words of Cuba Gooding, Jr., "Show me the story!"


 

4 comments:

  1. I am the same way, I am great at dialougue, but thanks to Nanowrimo, I have gotten better. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. even stephen kings goes through about 3 drafts before anyone sees it... good luck!

    check out my blog @ amberlashell.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love writing too! but I've been sticking with writing plays because to me it's easier for that very reason! I want to get better at writing stories though. You inspire me to keep getting better, and I too want to write a book someday.

    I'm sure you're being too hard on yourself, everyone is their toughest critics. It would be especially hard when it's your own story.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing I love to read, and I've been told, is the way I write, is to write as if the reader already knows you. Throw them into the middle of the story and drop pieces of the back story as you go, that way you're not "introducing" the character in the beginning. Good luck! It sounds like it will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love writing but never tried to write a novel. It scares me.
    It's so difficult!
    But I'm sure you're doing a great job! I just know. I know your novel will be amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!