Friday, December 17, 2010

Should I be alarmed?

 So every year, my office does this Secret Santa exchange.  I had never done one at previous employers...my last employer did this white elephant thing, which I despise because I find the idea of competing for gifts to be too much stress, and then my previous employer, since I was one of three attorneys in the firm, I bought gifts for everyone.  (Yes, that was an expensive Christmas).  However, for the past three years at my current employer, I've enjoyed doing the Secret Santa thing. 


Of course, when it comes time for me to buy my person their presents, I always stress out about what I'm going to get them.  Will they like the little gifts I leave during the month?  It's usually chocolate, because you can't go wrong with that.  And the big gifts, I always feel like it's never enough.  But the person I get always seems to like it so I guess I'm not completely clueless. 


My present, on the other hand...for the past three years now I have gotten some sort of alcohol.  Either it's just a trend or pure coincidence, or I need to stop coming across so stressed at work.  First year it was a bottle of red wine (which was super awesome by the way) called "Mambo."  The next year it was a wine rack and a bottle of red wine.  This year it was a six pack of Guinness.  I mean, don't get me wrong...I love the stuff, but...do my coworkers think I'm an alcoholic? 


Come to think of it, one of my wedding shower gifts was also a bottle of wine.  And a six pack of Guinness.  Hmmm...I'm seeing a pattern here....


Oh dear God, they do  think I'm an alcoholic!



Too bad the Guinness didn't come chilled, or I totally would have had to crack one open to get through the rest of my day. 


What do you guys do to celebrate Christmas at your office?



 

9 comments:

  1. SO wish I had an office in which to celebrate. That is hilarious! Free booze, I would stick with the alcoholic persona at least then you aren't getting an ugly Christmas sweater or kitchen gadget that you then spend weeks trying to figure out where to return it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha so funny!
    Maybe they don't think you're an alcoholic... maybe they think you don't drink enough... maybe you should drink more beer/wine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe THEY are the alcoholics and think you are falling behind them in the intoxcation after work department lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Believe I'll take the bottle of wine any day over some of the crap I've seen get exchanged during the holidays! You're not an alcoholic, lol...You just happen to love the finer things in life. Now send me a glass of wine through the computer screen, please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahah! You are not an alcoholic! They knwo you enjoy it and it is easy...not to make it seem less fun but they don't worry because they knwo you will like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, I wish I had a secret santa, I would love them to bring me a bottle of Grey Goose! and I HATE White elephant too, ugh

    amberlashell.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, I'm sure they don't think you're an alcoholic :-P

    We did a White Elephant today, it was pretty fun- no real competing, everyone was more laid back and just happy to get a few hours off of work ;-)

    Maybe next year I'll suggest a Secret Santa

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's pretty funny! Our office is too small for secret santa, and I don't buy gifts for everyone. I usually make a ton of treats and bring them in to share. Not much holiday spirit in the office sadly, especially because we had to cut our holiday party this year. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too funny! I'm always happy when I get wine, though!

    I work for the largest firm in Pittsburgh, and they had a party for staff two weeks ago which I got dragged to and it was supremely awkward. But last week my department had a Festivus celebration, and even though I work in t he evening and missed most of it, there was plenty of good food left over and everyone was in a good mood so I was happy.

    I like Secret Santas though. One of my old employers used to do that and it was so much fun.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!