Thursday, December 2, 2010

Hangs head in shame....

So with this new house purchasing thing we're doing, we are having to get our paperwork together in order to apply for a mortgage.  We've been given a checklist, and we're meeting with the lady today to get this mortgage owning party started.  So yesterday, as I worked from home, I decided to try to get my end of the whole thing all lined up.  That meant having to go into my file cabinet.  The dreaded file cabinet.
In case you weren't aware, I am the worst filer ever.  Seriously, I wouldn't describe myself as "organized."  Far from it, actually.  I detest filing.  I prefer to exist in a more organized chaos situation, but...if I were to be audited, I would one heck of a pile of crap to go through.  (It's all there...don't get me wrong...it's just in a pile of crap...)
Case in point - to get the mortgage, we need 2 years of W2s, 2 years of tax returns and our most recent 401k statements.   T gets into his highly-organized filing system and pulls these out with ease.  Me, I dig through my cabinet until I find a bulging file labeled "taxes."  I quickly find the 2009 taxes (mostly b/c I did those with T), but I see that oops, I didn't print out the 2008 taxes.  I have the W2, but no tax form.  I recall this was the year I had no printer, so that explains the absence of said form.  I luckily find it saved somewhere on my computer, but as I dig through the huge file, I see that "OH, Nain has all of her tax refunds from now until 1997."  Yep, that's right.  Every single job I had, starting at Baskin Robbins when I was 16 until  now is in that folder.  Um, don't think the IRS will audit me that far back, but OK...
My IRA/401k folder?  Oh, I just put the envelopes, unopened when I get them in the mail in that file.  I figure, why open them?  I won't retire for years and years and years, so does it really matter?  So when T asks for recent 401k statement, I point to the even larger file with envelopes just shoved in it.  Yikes. 
Sooo...long story short, on December 23, since we both have the day off, we have a filing party planned.  It will be long and probably extremely painful, and I think alcohol will help us get through it, but....he knew what he was doing when he married me, right???  I think I just need to keep reminding him.
I love you, T!  You did say for better AND for worse...just keep that in mind on the 23rd :-)

 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. haha good luck!
    I'm just like you!! My world is chaos.
    But MJ is also like that. So just imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate filing and now I need to go find those because we are about to start looking for a house. Just have some Guiness on teh 23rd during your filing party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha.. five+ years later my husband swears he was so organized and on top of things before he married me, I have brought him to the dark side!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, we are the same way! I've gotten a bit better since getting married, but I'm not nearly as organized as my hubby. I let him take care of most of the important papers though ;-P

    I wish you the best of luck on the 23rd!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we went through that...Will of course being the more organized one. It wasn't so bad, but then again I only had my tax paperwork to 2000, not 97. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are sooo funny! I've always been all over the place, and my husband didn't realize it until we actually got down the aisle (week before I graduated law school), lol! But the first time we got ready to file taxes, the hubby was so organized with his tax guy he'd filed with for years just waiting for our info. And I was a gypsy, never staying in a place for over a year, and I had never held a job for more than a few months because I'd been in school forever. Tax papers were partially at my moms and with me somewhere. Now guess what? We've switched places. I'm the organized one in my own chaotic way, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, that sounds a lot like me.... What am I going to do when my dad decided he won't be going with me to purchase big stuff like cars and apartments and sign contracts? Looks like T and D could easily become friends...

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!