Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Cooking with Nain

Second Blooming
 
 
It's been quite awhile since I've participated in the Spin Cycle brought to you by Gretchen at Second Blooming and Ginnie Marie at  Lemon Drop Pie.  Sigh.  Such a bad blogger friend, I know.  I've become pretty slack at reading and commenting on other blogs, too.  See what happens when my world gets turned upside down???  Well, now that things are getting back to normal, here's hoping I can get blogging back to normal as well.  Anywho...this week's topic is one of my favorite things ever - cooking!  Well, cooking with love specifically.
They say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach...amongst other things that aren't as PG, but like Phil Robertson with Duck Dynasty says there is something to be said about a woman who knows her way around the kitchen.  I haven't always been that way, and it's taken several times of me screwing up even the most basic meals to get there, but I love cooking for T, especially on the weekends when I have time to make something special.
The very first meal I ever made for him was my baked spaghetti, a dish that he requests to this day.  It's super easy, but dammit it if it isn't delicious.  I change it up every now and then, but all you do is brown up some sweet Italian sausage and onions, mix in tomato sauce, and I like putting in spinach or spinach puree, which is what I tried last time and it came out amazing.  Boil penne noodles and I layer it - sauce/meat mixture, noodles, cheese, etc.  Then I top it with a ton of cheese and oregano and Italian seasoning.  Cook for 30 minutes until the cheese is nice and brown.  And it's damn good, if I do say so.
T's got his own meal he makes for me with love...the famous honey chicken stir fry.  That was something he made for me when we celebrated our very first Christmas as a couple, and he made it every month counting up to our wedding day after we were engaged.  And we have it on our anniversary and any other special occasion.  It's delicious.  Of course, I don't have the recipe to share, but still. 
I love cooking things I know T will love...on St. Patrick's Day this last year I made  homemade soda bread, Shepherd's Pie, and Bailey's brownies.  We don't always have a lot of money or time to go out on lavish dates so it's nice for us to just have a romantic meal in the dining room when the little one is asleep.  Hell, I might even break out the glasses for water instead of drinking from bottled water.  I mean, now THAT is fancy, let me tell you.
So that's my spin on cooking with love...stop by Ginnie's and Gretchen's and see what other people have to share!
 

5 comments:

  1. The baked pasta sounds delish! I love it that T cooks for you. The only thing Jimmy knows how to cook is scrambled eggs. It's sad. People hear I have an Italian husband and assume he is a great cook, but no such luck. I guess I'd better start teaching Jude a few things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both those recipes sound awesome! Just like Gretchen, my husband doesn't cook. He know how to make macaroni and cheese from a box. I don't know what he'd eat without me! (Oh, wait, I do...he would go buy a burrito every night!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to have a few standard go to meals that you enjoy. Nick and I have been trying to cook together more. It's a process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should have T do a guest post about your cooking... just for verification purposes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, baked spaghetti steals everyone's hearts...it's a winner in my family!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!