Monday, July 19, 2010

The countdown continues...

Yesterday marked our official "2 month" mark until the big day.  I can't believe we're getting that close.  I'm super excited, but as the day nears, getting super anxious about making sure everything is done.  Anyway, as I said on Friday, one of our traditions is T makes me this dinner he has made me pretty much since I've known him:  honey chicken stir fry.  It's delicious.  He always seems to make it on special occasions, like when celebrated our first Christmas together and on anniversaries.  Somewhere along the way we've started a tradition of making this on the 18th of every month as we count down to September 18th.   So today, in honor of the big day, T made this for me for dinner.  I threw together a fruit salad and tossed salad, and we had a big mid-day meal, as we usually do on Sundays.  It was awesome.  We also drank a bottle of blackberry wine we got earlier in May on our trip to Bloomington.  That, too, was awesome.  It was a great meal...a little candlelight, a little background music, and just me and T.  We said the prayer for engaged couples we got from our sponsor couple, too, and we've been trying to keep that tradition, as well, as we get closer to the day.   (Just two more months!!!)

I promised some of you the recipe, and I had meant to take a picture of the feast but...sadly, I forgot, or at least I remembered when my meal was basically eaten.  Another day perhaps...

Honey Chicken Stir Fry
What you need:
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (actually, we find that using chicken tenderloins works best because they are easier to cut)
1 garlic clove, minced (garlic powder works, too...in fact we prefer it to the garlic itself because it's too strong)
3 teaspons of olive or canola oil
2 tablespoons of reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 red and 1 yellow pepper
1/2 cup onion
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon cold water
Hot cooked rice

What to do:
In a large nonstick skillet, stir-fry chicken and garlic in olive oil.  Add the honey, soy sauce, salt and pepper.  Cook and stir until chicken is lightly browned and juices run clear. 
In a separate skillet, stir fry the vegetables in a bit of olive oil and soy sauce for 4-5 minutes or until heated through. 
Return chicken to the pan; mix well.  Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into chicken mixture.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for one minute or until thickened.  Serve over rice.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nain's tips:  I find this meal goes really well if you start drinking the glass of wine while cooking.  And turn on a little 1990s pop for mood music, and you've got a party!  But I definitely recommend the recipe.  Try it and let us know what you think!

5 comments:

  1. Now that sounds delicious - sadly since most of my friends are vegetarians I seldom get chances to cook meat, but if I try it out I'll definitely let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much honey? I missed that? Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doh! My bad...um, I think it's 2 tablespoons but could be more depending on how sweet you would like it. That's hilarious that I forgot the honey thing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to try it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. See? That is what I'd do... forget the main thing... hahahaha

    sounds great though. I think I shall have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!