Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Telling my story

“I think of life as a good book. The further you get into it, the more it begins to make sense.”

― Harold Kushner

Now, I've alluded to the fact that I'm currently writing a book in several posts before but I haven't really told you much about the content of said book. In fact, I've kept it about as vague as humanly possible, and well, I've done that for several reasons. 1) I'm afraid no one will like what I'm writing and 2) I'm afraid I won't ever have the nerve to finish it. It's probably the first fear more than anything that has kept me from really disclosing what is in this book. I've let T read the first nine chapters I've written, but that's about it. Perhaps I should change that...

I've debated putting a chapter or two on this blog, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea yet or not. See, this book is not just purely fiction. Throughout my life, I've been through a course of events and experiences that have changed me as a person and have brought me to be the person I am today. These experiences weren't easy ones, they sure as hell would be something I would want to see my own children go through some day, and they aren't always easy to revisit in whatever fashion, whether that be through writing or just memories. In the past few years, and in talking with friends and family about some of these things that have happened in the past ten years or so, I'm always hearing "you should so write a book about this. You can't make this stuff up." Well, that's true, you can't make it up, but that doesn't mean that writing about it wouldn't be equally as difficult. However, I made the decision a few months ago that I would finally do it. I would take an isolated experience and write about it. Most of it would be based off of fact and things that actually happened but it would be loosely written around those facts, enough to spare the parties involved.

Shortly after I started this blog in May, I also started writing. Once I got started, it just flowed out. I knew the basic story I wanted to tell, and I drafted a brief storyline and outline to go from. However, as I got further into the book, I started to realize something. By writing about all of this, I'm reliving some of my darkest moments. It's cathartic, but at the same time, it's me reliving things I've worked so hard to forget.

When I sent T the first few chapters of my book, I was kind of worried how he would react. He knows my story, and he knows everything about me, yes. However, a lot of what I found myself writing were things that I never told anyone. Not even my closest friends at the time. I kept these thoughts to myself, and now, I'm finally getting them out.  He said he loved the book, but it does break his heart a little because he realizes that this character was me at one point in my life and he doesn't like that I had to go through all of that. Granted, my story does have a happy ending, and the book won't be like that the whole time. But I'm trying to be as honest as humanly possible in my writing. I just hope it doesn't bite me in the butt in the end.

So what do you think, my faithful readers? Should I post a preview to my book in here at all? Just a passing thought...let me know what you guys think.

We're halfway through the week...I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Friday is near!

10 comments:

  1. That must be really difficult to write and re-live. I would love to read it. You should post some. Or maybe you need to (find &) get permission from your publisher first.... :) I think writing about your past experience will be not only cleansing but also very brave of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, we have so much in common! I'm so excited to have run across your blog...or rather you came across mine!

    I'd love to read some of your book! I've been writing one in a similar fashion (I call it a fictionalized mostly true story). I was emancipated at 15 which is why I went into law! I have a great life (now) but it was a journey to get here.

    I think you are so incredibly brave to consider posting it and I'm excited you have the support of T!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say go for it! If you feel comfortable posting it here, I'd love to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it is terrifying to share the part of your soul you've written down, especially when you don;t know how it will be received. But I know I would love to read it, and offer any help I can.

    You may want to do whatever necessary to make sure your content is copyrighted first to make sure no one can take any credit for it.

    If you feel ready, I say go for it. Especially if it helps you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I found your blog through Suzie Q's. And I am so glad that I did.
    Jump into the risk! I would love to read your story. Our stories are meant to be shared. But I do understand your hesitancy. When I started my blog, also in May, I decided that I would be as honest as I could be about my life, past and present and just trust it. I was a bit anxious at first, but have met so many wonderful women and feel really grateful for that. I'll be looking for that post.
    So it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried to become a follower but got a google URL error.
    Has anyone else had that problem?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally write the book but you might want to think about whether or not to post anything from it on your blog. Check with my sister (SusziCate from The Water Witche's Daughter), she was just telling me the other day that anything that has been previously published (even on a blog) can't be published in a book form. You might want to verify with her about how she found that out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's very brave and commendable of you to choose a dark time in your life to write about. I love a good piece of fiction, but nothing beats an honest memoir, even if what you're writing is based loosely (or not so loosely) on facts.

    Keep it up, girl!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!