Monday, August 9, 2010

All dressed up and nowhere to go...

This last weekend was one full of wedding preparation.  Well, at least Saturday was.  I got up bright and early Saturday morning and headed out to my wedding hair trial run.  My good friend Angela, who owns her own salon, is doing my hair and my bridesmaids' hair the morning of the wedding.  She always does an awesome job when she cuts my hair, so I definitely trust her for the whole wedding "do." 

I have really thick hair.  I mean REALLY thick hair.  I'm like a Chia Pet, basically.  At one point in time in college I grew it out to donate to Locks of Love (exactly one year from the day my Grandmother died from cancer as a tribute to her) and I donated 11 inches of it.  And man, that was a huge ponytail.  Anyway, I digress...I've been growing my hair out since about December so that I could attempt to get at least part of it up for the wedding.  (Getting the entire mass of hair up in one up-do is not possible...trust me with this one.)   So we decided to do a half up, half down thing.  I was so happy with the results:

And from the side:


I'm wearing a veil, and it'll clip into the back where all the curls are.  I'm old-fashioned, and I've always wanted to do the veil in front, the Dad lifts it up to kiss you on the cheek thing.  I'm sure there is a formal, special name for it, but...I think I made my point abundantly clear last week that I'm not a wedding planner so I don't have my terminology down.  (Sorry!)

So I got this done around 10:00 a.m., and I had my hair all done up for the rest of the day.  I sent a picture of it to my mom and sister (the MOH), and then in typical Nain fashion, while talking to my mom on the phone on my way home, I go "yeah, I'm planning on doing my normal routine today...you know, work out, clean the house..."  She thought I was insane for wanting to work out with my hair looking like this.  As soon as I got in the house, I realized that, yes, I am insane for wanting to work out with my hair all done up.  So I changed my mind and texted her and said "yeah, not a good idea..."  She said it was probably for the best and that I could enjoy being a princess for the day.  To which I responded, "more like Cinderella...I need to do some cleaning around here."  She responds with a "OK, Cinder...say hi to Prince Charming for me."  And you bet your butt I sure cleaned my house with my hair all done nicely for the rest of the day.  We also headed to a tasting at our reception hall and church that evening.  My hair stayed in place ALL day.  I think that's a success!

Speaking of Prince Charming...he loved the hair! Having my hair all done like that just like it will look on my wedding day definitely has me getting more and more excited for September 18th.  Plus, it was just nice to have my hair look nice all day.  Now I understand how people with a team of hair stylists feel on a daily basis. 

And it feels good....

9 comments:

  1. Aww, you look so beautiful!!
    Love your hair!
    I can't wait to take a picture in my wedding hair trial to show you!! (I think it's in September... I should ask my manager/wedding planner -aka mom).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your hair - it's beyond beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking as one who routinely refers to her hair as "the rat's nest", I completely understand that thick can be annoying. But your hairstyle is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, lady - that is a beautiful 'do! I can't wait to see it with the veil!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you're excited now, just wait until your wedding day. I didn't want to take my dress off. I really felt like a real life Cinderella! I wish the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing better than NEW hairdo's!! Cant wait for your big day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it lady! Looks so so so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hair looks beautiful! Oh I am so excited to see your wedding pics! You will be a gorgeous bride! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!