Wednesday, August 25, 2010

It's official folks....I'm losing it....

“There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it.”― Mary Wilson Little

Oh, how I wish I could take that mindset this week. I wish I could look at my “to-do” list and go “eh…it’ll get done eventually, right?” You know, pull a Scarlett O’Hara and say that I’ll think about it tomorrow? Well, I can’t. Yesterday I came to the sudden realization that “oh shit, this wedding is in 3 weeks and we have a ton to do.” I had this little realization while at work, which is, of course, the best of places to have a complete panic attack.

It started as something rather small. I got an email from T’s mom asking about the schedule of events the day of the wedding. Now, a good bride would have already done this and would have sent it off to family and the bridal party so that they knew where they needed to be and when. Well, yeah, like a slacker bride, I’ve been saying I need to do this for about two months now, and I have yet to do this. In my head I know where everyone needs to be, but I didn’t remember that people can’t read my mind and that most of my relatives aren’t psychic, so maybe I should get on that schedule and send it out. This is when the panic started.

Of course, in my mind, one thought immediately leads to another and then another and another until I’ve got myself all worked up into a full on panic attack, wanting to hide under my desk in the fetal position, rocking back and forth and chewing on my hair. I started to think, “Oh yeah, we need to give the reception place the menu next week,” which lead to “oh shit, we haven’t decided on the menu,” to “Oh no, we didn’t set up a time to meet with my parents to decide on the menu” to “what if I pick the wrong menu item and people talk about how god-awful my food was and hate me forever?” Rational? No. But no one ever said I was the rational type.

So your dear Nain spent the majority of yesterday completely freaking out. I’m not doing 100% better this morning because in addition to freaking out about wedding planning, I realized I need to start planning what we need to pack for Ireland and what all we need to take care of before we leave town. This then leads me to panic about the fact that I’m leaving work for more than a week and I need to make sure everything is covered and taken care of before I leave the country with no access to work email or a phone. Add that to a girl with a heart condition who already has pretty high blood pressure, and well…you get the picture.

So the question now is….is it too late to just get a plane ticket to Vegas and get married there?

8 comments:

  1. Okay, Alaina, breath. You can do this. Thik of it this way: if you have this much to do, you won't have time to eat, and if you don't have time to eat you'll be amazingly thin on your weding day. And if you don't get any sleep, a good ma up can hide your dark circles.
    So, let's chek one thing off your list: forget about the manuscript and the critique group and only think about it again when you come back from your honeymoon. Don't even think of sending anything now, just relax, do what you have to do, enjoy your wedding and your honeymoon and think about your ms later. Deal?
    Now go deal with your stuff and if you find yourself under your table in fetal position give me a call. I'll join you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no.... I can't really relate but a TON of my friends have been in this situation. They all told each other "don't worry, it'll get done" and "take it one step at a time" - all that stereotypical stuff. Just remember that at the end of the aisle is your husband-to-be and really, that's all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vegas Rocks!!...but there's nothing like having a real wedding :D Be calm and stay cool...it's all gonna go down as planned :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Gabriela.... just breathe....breathe....breathe. One foot in front of the other....

    ReplyDelete
  5. You won't believe me, but I said just exactly the same to MJ last Sunday. Well, I said that after my mom and my mother-in-law caused me a panic attack, after hours and hours talking about my wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure the "freak out" was scheduled on your list as it's scheduled on every bride's list. Even if it wasn't, put it on there and then cross it out. One more thing done!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deep. Cleansing. Breaths. Everything really will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree with Gabriela. I hope things calm down for you. Just remember to breathe.

    Also, things will go wrong on your wedding day, but if you try to just not let it get to you then your day will be perfect. I knew on my day that I couldn't control the little things, and accepting that made it so much better.

    In the end of the day, your being married is all that matters. The reception is more for family and friends, and they'll be happy even if you only feed them cheese and crackers :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!