Friday, August 20, 2010

Diet vs. fair food

Over the next month, I'm kicking it into high gear with eating right, drinking lots of water and exercising.  Granted, I have totally been doing this for a long time now, but it's game time, baby.  Gotta look good in that dress.  (Yes, T is probably reading this going "but you'll already look good in that dress") but that isn't the point.  I want to feel good in that dress.  So yes, I've been eating very healthy lately, and well, it kind of blows.  When I have a craving for a snack, I pull out a handful of grapes or a plum, but let me tell you, I was thinking "man, I wish this were a Snickers bar..." 
Right now, the Indiana State Fair is going on.  This is basically a breeding ground for unhealthy eating.  I work about two miles from the fairgrounds, so I can basically smell the food when I'm walking into work.  I'm not a big fan of the state fair for several personal reasons, but the food sounds intriguing.  One of my coworkers went to the fair just last night, and she was telling me all about the interesting things she found there.  Now, these aren't things I'd necessarily eat, nor would I pay to watch someone eat it, but...it was interesting.  And it makes me realize why other countries resent us. 

Let's see...my favorite was deep fried butter.  Yes, you read that right.  They apparently take a stick of butter, roll it in sugar and deep fry that sucker.  While other countries are struggling to feed their citizens, we are eating deep fried lard, rolled in sugar.  Yum.  Another one is a burger that instead of a bun they use a sliced Krispy Kreme donut.  I guarantee you my doctor would totally go for me eating that.  Then you have your staples - deep fried cheesecake, deep fried Snickers bars, deep fried Twinkies...why is everything deep fried, I ask you?  I'm pretty sure if I went to the fair, consumed a few of their delicacies, I wouldn't even be able to fit into my dress.  It just amazes me.  And we wonder why childhood obesity is an issue in our country? 

I'm not trying to slam the fair here, by no means, but what I don't seem to understand is how we can create an even worse food every year.  It's like we try to one up the fattiest thing would could possibly dream up, and say "yes, this sounds like a great idea!"  Oh, I did forget the chocolate covered bacon.  Now that one is intriguing to me.  It sounds disgusting, but what if it's oh-so-good. 

It's things like this that make sticking to my diet hard.  Well, not hard, but it sure frustrates the whole point of a diet, doesn't it? 

What's the weirdest fair food you've heard of?  Was it actually good?


 

19 comments:

  1. DEEP FRIED BUTTER!!?? OMG I almost gagged! That is so, so gross!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, some of that food sounds crazy. deep fried butter?? i think i'd rather have a plum. junk food certainly has a place in my heart, but that's out of control :) ps- from BF

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had alligator sausage (on a stick, of course) once at the MN state fair. It wasn't bad, but it also wasn't deep fried. I had deep fried macaroni and cheese on a stick once too, that wasn't bad. Tasted like a starchy cheese curd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had way too hard of a time getting accustomed to this thought of deep fried butter. I've heard that the deep fried oreos at the fairs are pretty tasty though!

    commenting from comment friday on blog frog! have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ewww. The thought of deep fried butter makes my stomach hurt. How can anyone just eat a stick of butter? I am not big on fair food because all the greese usually doesn't agree with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the deep fried snickers. I foodgasmed in my mouth.

    I'm so ashamed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have only heard of these fried foods...I know what's wrong with me? lol Maybe it's for the best! Following your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sticking to a diet is hard, and the only time I've ever committed to exercising and a diet was when I was preparing to get married. My husband worked out with me and also ate healthy for those few months, and I can tell you it was well worth it. I love state fairs. In Georgia all types of weird foods show up at the fair, but I'm interested in coming to Indiana cuz I would love to taste the deep fried snicker bar!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch! That fair sure sounds like the place to go to gain a few pounds. I'd heard about them having all kinds of deep-fried stuff, but I didn't think it was that much!
    But I totally know what you mean about it being more common in the US. I gained 70 pounds in 2 years in the US. Came back home and lost 55 in the past year. Stil 15 to go, and it's getting sooo hard to stick to that diet! I get so cranky! I just want lots and lots of chocolate!
    But hang in there. Looking great on your wedding dress is a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the deep fried butter thing has me nauseated... but yay for eating right and exercising ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds nasty. We had deep fried oreos. Wasn't crazy about them. Something wasn't working for me.

    But cheese curds - those are my bad state fair food addiction :)

    Following from BF

    ReplyDelete
  12. I may have just gained 18 pounds by reading that. For real.

    Fried butter? Heart attack, anyone?

    Good luck on the health spree - I try all the time and end up smearing chocolate all over my thighs by the end.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Uhhhh Im with the others Deep Fried Butter??!! What the heck?? Glad you enjoy it, because it doesn't sound so good to me lol :)

    Good luck on the diet!! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ha, I'd like to set the record straight...I don't like deep fried butter...but I find it intriguing that people actually eat it. And live.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK, the thought of deep fried butter kind of makes me want to die!

    Just so long as you don't knock my cheese curds... that's pretty much the whole purpose behind the fair if you ask me! ;)

    Even though I will not be having any this year. Because I am healthy and all that crap!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh ugh, deep fried butter? I'm eating a bowl of Kashi cereal while reading this and suddenly VERY thankful for my healthy breakfast choice, lol.

    I love the fair. I think you've probably figured that out from my blog (I'm going to one today, in fact!) but I go for the rides. I don't really eat much of the food. The last one I went to, I was happy to find a place that was making bean and rice burritoes. It wasn't deep fried! It was actually pretty light. I might get soft serve, but I don't go wild over those deep fried desserts. I've had the oreos once, and that was enough. They were good, but made me ill.

    However, the last fair I went to had those Dutch pancake things so I had some. Because they were Dutch! http://www.ohhonestlyerin.com/archives/5262

    Having a goal in sight is the best way to keep eating right. I'm with T - you probably already look great in your dress, but I completely understand what you mean about wanting to FEEL good in it too. Keep it up, lady! <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. Deep fried butter. Something is seriously wrong with people for thinking that up or ACTUALLY eating it! Yuck! I am really not into all that fair food but was happily surprised to see the coolest thing being served at our Saturday Market (sort of like a fair) they had these beautiful fruit bowls with many kinds of tropical fruit spraying out of them like a bouquet of flowers. They were delicious and such a nice change of pace from the normal fried everything you tend to see.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My hubby tried the chocolate covered bacon at a fair once. I was not with him to knock some sense into him. He said it was ok, but not really his thing. Then he went for dessert and had a deep fried s'more, which he said was the best thing ever! (besides all the things I bake, of course! ha ha ha)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow... there are so many things I could say about the reasons our country has one of the highest obesity rates, and had to make a new name for diabetes that hits early (that never happened before)

    Anyway, you should watch "Food Inc." it is a great documentary; very well done, well researched, well executed. I learned a lot. They have it on demand on Netflix. Let me know if you watch it!

    Sticking to a diet can be hard, I wish you the best of luck! You already are beautiful, but like you said, it's important to feel beautiful on your day :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!