Friday, August 27, 2010

Taking a mental picture

“We’re so busy watching out for what’s just ahead of us that we don’t take time to enjoy where we are.” ― Bill Watterson

T and I have been planning our wedding for well over a year now, and we’re coming upon the last few weeks of the big wedding planning. One thing that everyone keeps telling us over and over again is that it all goes so fast and be sure to relish the moments during the day.

Well, that got me thinking….this past year has gone by pretty fast, despite the times where I’ve felt like it was crawling by and the wedding was never going to get here. Now it’s almost September, and the wedding is just three weeks away. So much has changed since last July when T proposed to me. We’ve gone through so much and grown so much as a couple, and it seems just like yesterday that we were flipping through a calendar and thought “yeah, the 18th sounds like a good day, what about this one?”

This last year we have been going to appointment after appointment, deciding on menus, invitation patterns, floral arrangements, pretty much going nonstop planning for this one huge day, the biggest day of our lives. Sure, it hasn’t been easy, and yes, I’ve been praying for the whole planning process to be over, but it’s almost here. We’ve almost reached the big moment where all of our hard work and planning reaches fruition.

I just want to make sure that when that day does get here that we actually take time to enjoy it. During the Jim and Pam wedding episode for The Office, during a conversation on their way up to Niagara Falls, Pam says that they should take mental pictures of all the special moments of the weekend. To signify these special moments during the day she pretends to take a picture when a particular sappy moment occurs.

I want that for us. I know that once September 17th gets here, and our families start to arrive and the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner starts, it’s going to be all systems go, but I want to take a few moments during the day to just look around and relish the moments. I want to relish in the fact that our family and closest friends are there to celebrate with us. I want to relish that look in T’s eyes when he first sees me walk down the aisle. I want to remember the moment when the priest pronounces us husband and wife and we kiss. I want to capture the feeling in my heart I have as T and I take our first dance together as a married couple. Knowing my Irish Catholic family and the way we “do” weddings, I want to relish all of the fun and laughter and dancing that are sure to follow during the reception.

I don’t know if you all are aware of this, from reading my blog posts mainly, but I’m a worrier. I’m an anxious person by nature. I tend to freak out about big events, and I focus so much on getting through it and anticipating what could go wrong that I miss the whole big event that I’m supposed to be enjoying. Well, I don’t want to do that this time. This is too important to me. So, as these next three weeks go by, and I drive myself crazy with worry, I promise to remind myself to stop, breath and enjoy what’s going on because I’ll remember these moments for the rest of my life. So I better pack my mental picture camera.

17 comments:

  1. Good for you for taking that mental picture! People often forget to love this stage of a relationship too. I wish I had appreciated being engaged more...I just focused on THE WEDDING THE WEDDING THE WEDDING. And once it was over, I barely even remembered how it felt to be engaged and it was sad. That's such a special time too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those moments. It was a lot of fun planning a wedding. I just decided that I was going to be mentally present for the ceremony and have fun at the reception - no matter what. And thank God I had that mindset because:
    -the woman who was supposed to cater the after the ceremony pulled out that week
    -the person who was going to bake my elaborate cake got sick and pulled out a few days before the wedding
    -we had to order a very ordianry cake from a local bakery that was lopsided
    -the person who was going to make the toast to my mother had to turn around and go home because she couldn't get through the snow storm
    Okay so a lot went wrong, but you know what?
    -everyone said it was the best wedding they ever went to
    -the cake was pretty in a leaning tower of pisa (sp?) kind of way
    -I laughed constantly
    -I remember the ceremony and loved it
    -it was a blast (the whole thing)
    Yours will be too. So just accept that somethings will go wrong - and you will have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way I found you through blog frog! (I got a little carried away!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much fun and so much worry all wrapped into a few hours. Glad you have a healthy perspective on it!! Visiting from BF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from BlogFrog...

    Don't worry about what might go wrong. 15 years later, the things we still talk about (and laugh about) were the oopses at the time. Just do your best to enjoy the day (and make sure you eat - I totally forgot to!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the menatal picture is a good idea. I love The Office - what a great show. I am a bit of a worrier too but just know that everything will be as it should be and make sure you do slow down to take it all in. Congrats to you two.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the mental picture idea from The Office (the show is awesomeness). You are going to have an absolutely beautiful day, and it will go perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw a tip last year when my stepdaughter was planning her wedding suggesting you either set a chime on your phone if ya have an alarm- and just stop- look around & take that snapshot-- even if it's a stressful last minute problem.

    just look around, and BREATH... God's blessings to you the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going through a similar process...
    I've realized that those things that may go wrong DON'T MATTER. What matters is to be happy.
    So I've decided to be happy (no matter what) and forget about any problem/obstacle. I know everything will eventually work out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Taking mental pictures is such a great way to remember to savor the moment - and just tell T that if it seems like you're getting caught up in worrying, that it's his job to make you concentrate on the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Speaking from 20+ years after my wedding, I can agree with Metro DC Mom, the stress and worry won't matter compared to the lifetime you have ahead of you. I hope your day is all that you want it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good plan to take mental pictures!

    Another thing you could think about doing is this: after our wedding, the next day, we wrote down all of the things we remember, even the little things that don't seem important.

    It's good to have the memories. And if you have a good photographer, or videographer that will help to remember a lot as well :-)

    Eeh, I'm so excited for you!! :-)

    ps. can you email me your address?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Total kudos for the Pam reference.
    Congratulations on the big day! It's going to be so exciting.
    I can tell you, even though my own wedding was small, there will be absolutely no stress as soon as you look into your groom's eyes. That first moment you two look at each other will make every moment worth whatever frustration you may endure.
    Just remember to breathe. And don't be afraid to scream if you need to - or dance it out ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That episode of the Office made me sob. The mental picture thing is so sweet and romantic.

    Nain, your wedding day is going to be amazing. Even if it's not 100% perfect, it's going to be YOUR day. No one can take that away from you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's great that you want to take a mental picture of everything around you on that special day. Just remember to take your time and not to worry about everyone else. They just want to see you and your new husband come together on your day.
    Love your site, found you on blogfrog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a total worrier, too. We are Mormon, so I was married in a temple and then had to drive across town to our reception site. Me, being the worry-wart that I am, padded all of our drive times just to be safe. This was the best idea I ever had. Not only did the whole day go smoothly, but it ended up giving us these snippets of time throughout the day to just cool our heels. There was a good 10 minutes before our ring ceremony where my new husband and I just sat in a room at the church, holding hands and chit chatting about the day. It's my favorite memory.

    ReplyDelete
  17. One thing we did at my daughter's wedding is we put disposable cameras on every table. It was amazing some of the photos we got and some the photographer totally missed because they can't be evey where at once. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!