Thursday, August 5, 2010

Very superstitious

"Writing's on the wall...." I have this song in my mind because this week's Spin Cycle topic, brought to you courtesy of Jen at Sprite's Keeper is superstitions or old wives tales. This is a tough one because I couldn't come up with that many off the top of my head. I don't consider myself to be extremely superstitious. I've broken too many mirrors, walked under way too many ladders and have had black cats cross my path all over the place. It possibly could be why I have some bad luck, but who can really tell? But I'll talk about a few that I do practice or have dealt with currently...

There are a lot of old wives tales about weddings. Like, getting married on a rainy day brings good luck. Then there's that whole wearing something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue. (Incidentally, I DO have all of my bases covered for that one.) One recently has come into play at bridal showers. Did you know that for each bow you break on your presents that's how many children you will have? Does this make sense? No, not at all, but boy, oh boy, do people like to see how many you break. And I'm not Mrs. Duggar. My poor heart physically couldn't take too many children, so I've been pretty careful when opening gifts. I'm sad to say that I haven't broken a single bow (Much to my mother's disappointment, sorry!)

Another little superstition I do...well, I'm not sure if it's actually a superstition but I'm not sure what category it would fall under is something I do with my straw wrappers. I've done this since high school, and I honestly can't remember who taught me this. What I do is after removing the straw from the wrapper, I slowly tie my straw wrapper into a loose knot. It's important to keep it loose because you then pull it fast and try to break the straw wrapper with the knot not be in place. If the knot comes loose, then someone is thinking of you. I used to do this with my friends in high school, of course, hoping that a boy would be thinking of me, but 9 times out of 10 I'm sure it was just my mother. I''m not sure the reliability of this technique, but I still do it to this day. I'm sure on my first few dates with T, he thought "what in the world is this girl doing with her straw wrapper?" But hey, it's always nice to think someone is thinking of you, right?

So stop on by the Spin Cycle at Sprite's Keeper to see what other old wives tales people have to share! What are some of yours?

8 comments:

  1. I don't think I have any. I've been sitting here for a while trying to think of some but I can't.

    I'd never heard about that broken bows thing. No wonder people were so upset when we said, "no gifts."

    I didn't do the old/new/borrowed/blue thing. I was missing borrowed and old. People were actually quite upset with all the traditions/ superstitions we didn't do.

    My dad and I go to hockey games, he always has to wear the same hat and sit in the same spot in the same order. I just go along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of the bow breaking thing! Now I'm trying to think back to my own bridal shower and how many I may have broken. (At least one if it holds true, right?)
    You're linked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never heard of the bow breaking one... dang it I can't remember how many bows I broke when opening my wedding gifts...

    I did the straw wrapper too! I also can't remember who taught me, but I still do it. When ever the knot doesn't come undone I turn to my husband and ask why he isn't thinking of me. I think he's beginning to catch on :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm, I'm not superstitious at all, but now I want to try that straw wrapper thing, see if anybody's thinkin' of me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally do that with my straw wrappers. Thank you sooo much for your kind comment on The Neuff! I needed to hear that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just out of curiosity how do you "break" a bow? Meaning, cut it to make it easier to get the present out?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't forget the penny in your shoe--although I'm not sure why you need to but I was told to have one in my shoe--it was rather uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard the bow breaking one. Great spin!
    Recommended Daily Dose

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!