Monday, August 23, 2010

An encounter of the awkward kind....

I like to keep things interesting.  Keep them fresh.   One can't yourself too seriously, and a good awkward encounter can make life interesting every now and then.  It makes you laugh, it reminds you you're human. 

And it can frighten your neighbors. 
I don't mean to be so vague.  I'll tell you what happened to T and I on Friday night, shortly around 8:30 p.m.  It was funny in retrospect, but I'm not sure our neighbor will come back and see us again. 

So we have this neighbor who is a pretty religious lady.  We met her back in June when we had our garage sale.  She seemed sweet enough.  She bought a lot of our stuff, so I really appreciated that.  She actually came back several times and brought even more family members to buy more stuff.  She was a tad judgmental, though...several things she found out about us, she didn't really like.  1) T and I are living together BEFORE marriage.  In sin, people, in sin!  2) We're Catholic.  God forbid!  3) We're Catholic AND living together before marriage.  We've seen her a few times since then and every single time, she says "So are you married yet?"  When she introduced us to her husband one evening so went "They aren't married."  That, and when she was going through my sister's box of old clothes she was trying to sell, she held one particular dress up, turned to my sister and went "Sweetie, did you put on weight?"  Who says that?  Seriously?  Luckily, my sister took it in stride.

But I digress.  She does mean well.  I think she's trying to save us, though, because a few days after meeting her, she put a pamphlet for her church in our hands.  I guess the had some picnic where they were baptizing people in rivers.  Not my cup of tea, but it was sweet of her to think of us.

Where is this story going?  It has a point, trust. me.  So it was shortly after 8:30 p.m. on Friday evening, and T and I had finished dinner and had gotten into our comfy clothes to relax for the rest of the evening...basically, pajamas.  I was in one of T's old t-shirts and my Guinness pajama pants.  And I was ready for bed, so certain things weren't "supported" at the time, if you catch my drift.  We're sitting at our kitchen table, wasting time on the Internet when I look out the window and notice our neighbor friend.  We see this lady walking down our street and she makes a turn into our driveway.  Our kitchen light is on, and our blinds are open.  I look to T and goes "shit, is she coming here?"  We both jump up from our chairs and run out of the room, but at this point she's seen us.  I debated pretending we weren't home, but we were past the point of return at this point.  I did laundry earlier that day so I had items of clothing hung up around my living room, so I grab my wet jean jacket that is drying on my bedroom door and throw it on.  (Note to self:  don't put on a soaking wet jean jacket again.  It feels icky.)  But....I had to cover up the girls so I was desperate.  T runs into the bedroom and throws on jeans over his pajama boxers.  She rings the doorbell, and I'm the first to answer it.  She gives me the up and down look and goes "oh, were you getting ready for bed?"  I replied with something about me being sick all day or something, a complete lie...I'm not sure if I am destined for eternal damnation if you lie to a religious person, but I wasn't thinking at the moment.  She did give me her sympathies for being sick though so that was sweet, right?  Anyway, she had a question about T's work or something, a friend of hers wanting a job.  I'm not sure why this was a pressing issue at 8:30 at night, but, she did.  And it was awkward by all accounts.

So not only does my neighbor think I'm a Catholic slut having premarital relations with my cohabitating boyfriend, she also thinks I'm alcoholic (hence, the Guinness PJs).  Yes, I'm scoring points, people! 

After we closed the door, I turned to T and said "you know, she probably thinks we're heathens now...I should have just said she interrupted us in throes of passion." 

But she did ask when we're getting married, so I don't think that thought would have shocked her much.  I should know better than to wear pajamas before ten or to leave the blind open in the evening, right?


 

5 comments:

  1. LMBO Oh see those are the types I like to get on my pulpit with. I usually don't lose.. but I would have not covered the girls at all, Your house after all. You show up at my house and I am in my pj's better deal cause I ain't changing for ya lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHA
    Well, at least she is your neighbor!
    I have this kind of situations almost EVERY.SINGLE.DAY, because my family is like that lady. Not my parents, but my grandmas and cousins.
    MJ and I are Catholic and we're getting married, but we're living together BEFORE marriage.
    My mom made me lie my grandmas and tell them I'm still living with my parents, because they wouldn't understand/approve it. So I'm telling LOT OF LIES (and I hate it). And I CAN'T TELL SOME THINGS IN MY BLOG because MY COUSINS read MY BLOG and they would tell my grandmas. Because they already did it. And I had a BIG fight with everyone in my family. And I had enough.

    I can't wait to be married to MJ so that I can tell whatever I want in my blog and stop lying to my grandmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... LoL, that is funny. She's a strange one, but at least she's just trying to look after your souls ;-) Or something. Hahaha

    Thanks for all your kind comments while I was away!

    Most days when I get home from work I change right into my pjs! and, my neighbor is almost as crazy. Maybe I'l write a blog post about her sometime

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bwahaha! Look at you making friends with your neighbors! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you should have left the jacket OFF and then she'd think that you always go braless and she'd haven even more reason to damn you to hell? LOL Some people will think what they want anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile so leave a comment if you're stopping by!